Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need warmth! SansAmp Bass Driver DI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nyaben, Nov 3, 2000.

1. nyaben

nyaben

Nov 3, 2000
    I record my Fender P-Bass direct into my Roland 1680 OR sometimes via a JoeMeek mic pre/comp/eq. I just don't get such a great tone.

What do you recommend I get/do to help my sound? If I could emulate anyone's sound it would be McCartney.

I've heard good AND bad about the Bass POD. I've heard mostly rave reviews on the SansAmp BD DI. Have heard a little about Countryman DI.

I also have a Fender Blues Deluxe Amp which I've utilized a few times (via preamp out) for recording bass.

I feel like I'm doing what I should re compression and EQ. I just need something for a little more presence.

Thanks!

2. The Sansamp would be a good choice. I love mine. The only basses that I can plug directly into my 4 track are my active basses. In my limited experience I don't think that a passive bass can be recorded well unless you use a DI box or a line out of a amp.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I thought the 1680 had Roland's "COSM" software that can do amp emulations. Have you tried that?

You can try chasing a sound by adding boxes, but my gut feel is a good engineer would be able to dial in the sound with what you've got already.

4. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey !!
    I noticed that you own a SansAmp Bass Driver DI.
    I'm thinking about getting one, could you tell exactly what it does and how it helps your sound??????

Please tell me your experience with it.

Thanks...

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Both the Bass Driver and the Tech 21 Acoustic DI have a circuit that emulates a mic'd tube amp. With the Bass Driver you can dial in how much drive you get, but the Acoustic DI replaces that with a mid-shift and mid cut/boost that IMHO is much more flexible. The overdrive only affects the midrange which gives amazing control over the tone.

I recommend you try them both side by side before you buy.

6. Carlos R

Carlos R

Nov 10, 2000
    I used to plug direct into my 1680. The effects helped, but I still couldn't get a sound I liked.

Then I got the Bass Driver DI. Much improvement! That was a year ago. But if I had to do it over again today, I'd check out the Tech 21 Acoustic DI, the Bass POD, or even the Johnson. The Johnson has sounds for guitar and bass, and unlike POD has a SPDIF output, so you could bypass the 1680's preamps. I haven't played through POD or Johnson, but I heard the POD and it sounded good to me. (Quite a chameleon, too.)

The Bass Driver makes the sound come alive and gives some growl. Among other knobs it's got treble and bass. It lacks a mid boost though, so if you crank treble and bass, you'll get a smiley EQ. When I don't want that, I pump the mids with the 3-band EQ on the 1680.

7. i am in the same situation as nyaben, to an extent
    just so i can get the cliff notes on this post, i am to belive that i shouldn't use a sansamp with a active bass?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use active basses with SansAmp. No problem at all.

9. nyaben

nyaben

Nov 3, 2000
    I got the Bass Driver DI and I love the sound. It's very versatile and helps the bass sound tremendously in my recordings.

10. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I got my BD DI two days ago, I love some of the sounds I can get from it. But, I'm planintg on buying a Hartke 3500 head, which has a tube amplifier and a solid state amplifier. Will the tube amp on the Hartke make my SansAmp BD Di useless?

I think I need some more time to experiment with the BD DI to find out all I can get from it. I f you hgave any recommendations or advice, feel free to talk.

Thanks...

P.D. when I crank the drive knob on the DI and the tone on my bass, I get that annoying Buzz sound. Is it normal???

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    You mean buzz as in 60 Hz hum, or buzz as in a distorted sound when you play? If it's the latter, that's what this thing is supposed to do -- that's what they meant by "warming up the sound". It's supposed to sound like a miked SVT that's overdriving slightly. If you want less of it, back off on either (or both) the drive or the instrument volume. If you don't want any of it, turn off the "active" switch.

As far as a Hartke rendering the BD DI useless, the BD is designed to SIMULATE the sound of an overdriven tube amp. The Hartke has an ACTUAL preamp tube to overdrive. I suspect they will sound different, so your ears will tell you which to use when. It's possible that you will prefer the BD on some things and the Hartke tube overdrive on some others.

Having lots of equipment gives you lots of options, but has the cumulative effect of making all of your choices more complex. That having been said -- I still LIKE having lots of stuff.

12. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    You might want to take a look at the ART Tube PAC,it has a tube preamp and an optical compressor.I've gotten some satisfying bass recordings with it.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use my BD DI through a Hartke 3500 at rehearsal all the time. No problem. Just don't turn your pre-amps up too high.

14. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use my SansAmp DI on my Peavey TKO 115 S. I can use the BD DI as a stomp box and connect the line from the output of the DI to the input on my Peavey. Or, I can use it as a Pre-Amp and connect the DI to the Effects return of my Peavey.

The only difference I notice, is that when I setup the BD DI to the effects return jack, I can't control the volume in the amp, I have to control the volume in the DI. Besides that, is there any difference on using the DI as a Stomp Box
    than using it as a pre-amp? Would you recommend the best way to use it?

Thanks....

P.D. sorry for all the questions, but I'm really interested in getting the most out of my new BD DI. Any advice is welcome.