1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Warwick Advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zharlon, May 1, 2009.

1. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    I recently picked up a great Warwick Fortress 5 ( I think it's a 97).
    I got it to go with a fortress 5 fretless I have and use as my main axe....I like the sound of my fretless 5 Fortress with the stock MEC pickups well enough, but I tend to pull on the pot to keep them in passive mode, bypassing the onboard electronics(I like the sound of the bass without enhancement).

Anyway, the newest addition is a wonderful bass, has the wenge neck(so awesome), the brass adjust-anut......very nice player. However, it has an EMG pickup set and pre.......It is actually nice for controlling, as it has a sweepable mid knob and High, Low, Mid boost.....

I've had several warwicks and I can tell this bass is a great one but the electronics are way too bright.....I turn the highs down all the way on the bass and my amp too....even turned the tweeter off.....just to bright or...well I can't seem to get a good sound.....I am pretty sure from what I have read about the EMG setup that I need somthing different.....

I was looking at barts...and have seen some ideas for pre's to go with.....I think the combination of woods on the bass make for a need for somthing more organic sounding, though I really like the independent mid freq. control........

ideas?

2. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    Warwick advice? .....I know there is much said about replacing pickups on warwicks....I have read old threads......any new point of view?

3. Look inside the control cavity- some basses(like my 98 FNA)have trimpots to adjust overall output or EQ; you might be able to tame the brightness w/o any modding.

4. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    I had the same problem with EMG's in my fretless Corvette. I actually preferred the stock passive MEC's. I gave them away, so going back to stock was impossible.. :(

I'd go with Bartolinis. Warwicks seem to love them.

5. Basslines sound grest in Warwicks and their pre amps are nice too but I still like the sound of my Mecs.......:p