Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need wiring help- J-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassic83, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I did a search, and I didn't find what I was looking for, so I turn to you for some help. What I'd like to do is this- I have a fretless J-bass I built, and some DM-UJ pups. I'd like to have a master vol, blend, tone arrangement with a series/parallel switch. According to DM's site, you can wire so that each is humbucking, but I am at a loss as to whether I can do the blend pot for the parallel side of the equation. I know the series makes the master...well...master! Both pups act as one big pup. But in parallel, I prefer to have a blend pot rather than 2 vols. Is this possible, and could someone please enlighten me on how this might be accommplished? My brain hurts...

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The DM diagrams are for putting the neck and bridge pickups individuall in series / parallel. You can hardwire them in series/parallel as well.

If you want a master series / parallel switch, with a blend control, then you'll only get sound with blend turned to one of the extremes (probably neck).

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Thanks David. I was thinking that the blend would kinda turn into a sort of a volume once the S/P switch was kicked on. After sitting here and thinking about it for a bit, and drinking some coffee, my mind is still a bit foggy. I will probably take it to my favorite tech for some advice on exactly how to wire it. I'll probably end up with parallel with V,B,T controls in the end, but had this wild hare idea that I wanted to try. It's not an expensive, nor destructive mod, so I'll give it a shot. I can always revert.