Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need wood opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kboyd, Sep 25, 2002.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Ok, I am starting construction on a 4 string fretted bass(for my own personal use). For this one I am either going to use highly flamed koa on a swamp ash body, or a very rare highly figured crotch mahogany on walnut. I can't decide between the two.
    I was just wondering which combination would grab your attention if it was your bass....http://www.boydbasses.com

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

The koa sounds good to me. Keep us updated

Rob

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Koa sounds great. I'm not a fan of swamp ash these days -I find it a little blurry compared to hard ash. I lessen the weight with chambers in the body. I prefer the sound and look of cherry wood right now. Have fun!
    Laurence

4. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks guys. I do like the sound of koa, swamp ash (great slapping sound) and walnut and mahogany. I guess I will bite the bullet and make one bass a 4 fretted and the other a 6 fretless. I am leaning with the koa/swamp ash for the fretted four, but my mind changes as quickly as a hurricanes projected path of destruction(did I mention I live in New Orleans.....friggin hurricane alley?). Oh what to do :) Maybe I should make them both hollow bodies so I will be able to find them floating amongst the debris.

5. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
  6. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    And the mahogany