1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need working gloves?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wyleeboxer, Nov 15, 2010.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Anyone use a good economical tough glove that can defend against an accidental router bit assault to the hand or finger, without feeling to stiff and lose your grip on wood material as well? Just looking into some options before my next bass build... thanks!

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Medieval_Knight_Jousting_Suit_of_Armor.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    And even that won't work.

4. renniw

renniw

Nov 30, 2004
    Lévis (Québec)
    I think you need 2 things that will be more effective than gloves : brains and time.

Think about what you do and take time to do it right.

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Wearing gloves while operating power tools is dangerous. The best way to protect yourself from injuries is to learn safe work practices and make safety your highest priority.

A 2" diameter carbide-tipped router bit spinning at 24,000 rpm has a tip speed of 143 mph; I'm not aware of any glove that can survive impact, much less provide protection.

And remember, there are only two times a woodworker hurries; just before the injury, and immediately afterward. ;)

You're in Orange County, California? Cerritos College has a woodworking program with a good reputation.

6. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Mikey is right.... that no glove is going to protect you if things go wrong with power tools. However, I respectfully disagree with the conventional wisdom that gloves never should be worn when using power tools.

I've taken to using Nitrile Tough gloves for most shop operations. They are stretchy, thin, and provide a higher friction surface than bare skin. Fit them snugly so that there are no wrinkles or looseness, and I think they give better control of tools or materials and some protection from minor nicks and splinters. But no glove is gonna protect you from power tools.

7. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Damn good advice all the way around guys! but not so much the Knight outfit??

I really do try to work safely, and make sure I take my time! I was just hoping for something (glove) that may help in case that onetime unlucky "thing" may happen... just a bit of an insurance policy?

But thanks again guys!

8. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    +1
    Also watch sleeves, long hair, tie strings around your neck, rings, etc.

9. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Cerritos is my hometown, I would love to look into there program! thanks

I've worked with metals my whole life (building custom wheels for cars, motorhomes, etc... I would always wear gloves, but of course they would never save me from my old 5 ton Henley lathe! Just need to stay focused on the task at hand I suppose

10. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    ...plus I dont think that the term cheap would appply to THAT!! :smug:

11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    There are 2 things on a router that will help you to avoid contact with a spinning bit...the handles. These are perfectly suited for protecting your hands from spinning bits. ;)