Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need your help Talkbass... MIA Fender Active or Passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Sep 12, 2005.

Which Fender should I keep?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2005.
  1. MIA Fender Jazz passive with maple/alder

90 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. MIA Fender Jazz active with maple/ash

75 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Hey everyone,
    I need to get rid of a bass, but cannot decide which one to get rid of. I am getting another active/passive bass -- Warwick ltd. edition 2004 FNA, but I have two Fenders -- one MIA Fender Jazz passive, and one MIA Fender Jazz active with ash wood. Both have maple fretboards.

I love them both, but would like your opinions on the matter. Although I love the slight construction improvements in the active, I do love the sound of the passive. And although I love the passive, I love the range of sounds I can get with the active, even if not as warm. I do, however, have to sell one.

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Are you saying that you will switch between basses? If so, choose to keep the two that will complement eachother's abilities rather than keep the "best" two. My vote would be to keep the passive, considering the fact that the warwick will be more of a parallel upgrade to the active than it would be to the passive. IME, out of two similar basses, the lesser one will never be seriously played.

3. What are we voting for? Which bass to stay or which one to go?

The way I see it, fender jazz should be passive, if you want active bass, there are loads of better axes.

4. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yes... You guys hit it precisely on the head. I am getting the Warwick Limited Edition 2004 FNA with the ebony fingerboard, and flame koa top over ash body, but I need to get rid of one of these Fenders.

5. Keep the active one with Ash/Maple!
    Just my opinion.....

6. I agree with warp, the "passive" sound is what has made fender tride and true all of these years. If you want an active bass, there are gangs of other bass... even for less money that would sound as good or better than the active fender jazz.

7. Lewis7789

Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Though I love my active Jazz, I agree with the other cats about selling the active and keeping the passive Jazz. You can use the passive Fender Jazz tone when you need it and have your active Warwick for the other tunes. No point on having two similar basses?

8. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    My first instinct is to say keep the active, but then again that's very similar to the axe I have so I'm quite biased.

However, it is a good point that has been brought up about keeping the passive, since the Warwick you're planning on getting is active. Overall I would say keep the passive.

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
  10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    +1 on passive, more variety in your arsenal

11. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I decided to get rid of the active jazz. Very good input. I'm glad I have some friends around here to ask these things.

12. I'd keep the passive. The Jazz bass is a classic tone and no other instrument really comes close to the feel and sound of a jazz bass. In my opinion, a Jazz bass has to be passive. Plus, you may find that your active Jazz brings more money in the used market.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No fair! I just now got to vote, only to find that you had already made up your mind before I got to weigh in!

Keep the passive/alder ;)

14. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Your vote still counts. Each vote for the passive makes me feel a little bit better about putting the active on the market.:)

15. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i'm actually trading in my active bass for a passive one (at a bit of a financial loss), because
    1. i HATE active tone
    and
    2. i'm sick of having to chang batteries all the time

16. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    In my opinion. ACTIVE EQUALS BEST. But the alder is better. So I say swap the pickups, and then sell the leftover.

17. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Why get rid of one? You could keep both. There is no law or anything that limits a person to 2 basses.

18. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Um, it says "Which one should I keep?