1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need your help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmanslap, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bassmanslap

bassmanslap

Jun 21, 2008
    Hi guys

I was thinking about purchasing my first head and cabinet but i need some advice.

Up until now i have always used combo amps but am needing a change. I can now afford a nice bit of backline as i recently came into more money through a new job.

I play a Musicman Stingray, and all styles from rock to funk to indie.

I hear Trace Elliott make nice speaker cabs and heads, which stack would you guys recomend as an all round decent stack from experience?

Cheers
    Matt :D

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    oh man, you are getting into a whole new can of worms.

for starters, do some searches here- this is a frequently asked question. there are a ton of good options!

next, go to whatever music stores are around you, and try out EVERYTHING. you can even bring in your own bass if you want, or pick one up- sometimes it's nice to see how your own bass sounds out of different amps.

there are some reviews on this site that are quite helpful too but ultimately it's your money and your ears. everyone will have different opinions.

if you post your budget, type of music you play and influences that would help too! if you want a vintage sound, or a modern hi-fi tone, tubes or SS and whatnot...there are so many ways to make yourself louder.

happy hunting!

3. bassmanslap

bassmanslap

Jun 21, 2008
    Thanks paganjack.

I spose my budget would be anything up to about £1500-£2000.

I play mostly rock/funk, but play a bit of everything really!

I know absolutely NOTHING about what to look for in a cab system so i really need all the help i can get just so i dont sound like a complete dunce when i go and try at my local stores.

All help much appreciated! :)

4. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    with that budget you should be able to get whatever you want.
    buying used can be a good way to save money, but carries inherent risks. there are some UK members here, check the classifieds since shipping across the atlantic is...maybe not the best idea.

for rock/funk you might try gallien-krueger stuff. that is more on the clean/modern/hi-fi end of the tone spectrum. flea uses GK stuff for example.

there are 3 speaker sizes that are fairly common- 10" 12" 15"
    basically smaller speakers will usually sound 'tighter' whereas larger ones will move more air and sound 'bigger.' the construction of the cab itself makes a difference. there is a lot of variation in cabs so this is a rough description. there are plenty of people here that know a whole lot more about it than i.
    a standard rock stack is a 1x15" with a 4x10"
    some people use 2 2x10"s
    or a 4x10"
    or an 8x10" (lovingly referred to as a fridge)
    or a 1x12" and 2x10"
    i use a 2x12" and 1x12"

you can combine whatever you want as long as it sounds good to you. tweeters are something to consider too. not all cabs have them, not all players like them.

if you plan on playing out at decent sized venues, i would suggest finding an amp with >300W. tube amps sound louder to some people- it's debatable/debated. YMMV etc etc

read up a bit about impedance. you'll want to make sure that your cabs and head are compatible. most heads will tolerate 8 or 4 ohms, some go down to 2. accordingly, most cabs are 8 or 4 ohms.

well that's a start.