Need Your Opinion on pickguardless jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Linas, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Here is what my fretless SX jazz bass looks like normally.

Right now i am in the process of epoxying the fretboard of my bass which is why these 2 pics are neckless.

I want to have my bass without a pickguard but since SX has nasty routs like this i cant play it pickguardless.

But i was wondering, do you think if i put the chrome pickup cover on would it be rockable?

Your input is appreciated.
  2. I personally prefer the look with the pickguard. It's too bad about the route, but to my eyes, the neck pickup chrome cover doesn't quite cover up everything that needs to be covered. Otherwise, it'd look sweet.
  3. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I like them both ways, with and with out the PG. Here are my two side by side (the one without a pg is a fretless) so you can get a better idea on how they would look....

4. AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    The new MIA fender that I previously owned had the same kind of automated routing job, I won't rant about the price/quality comparison there, but they just don't look right without the pickguard. I'm much happier aesthetically with my MIJ jazz - sans routes/pickguard.
  5. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

+1 :rollno:
  6. If you're really sold on taking it off, you still have the route between the nobs and the pickup. Personally, since you're obviously leaving the cover under the nobs, I'd design a custom guard that would take the place of the nob cover and extend it up to and around the pickup, but keeping it the same size as the pickup cover. Otherwise, I don't think it covers enough. (Sorry I can't draw what I'm talking about. Hope I'm not too vague.:meh: )