1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need your opinion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mpp, Aug 18, 2007.

1. mpp

mpp

Aug 17, 2007
    new to this
    I've decided to upgrade my studio bass rig , for my upcoming blues album
    currently run a ricky 4001 , ibnanez 5string , and 4 string fretless through a bbe 383 di, a bass pod, and try to mic a SWR workingman's 15 as the "live sound" - mixing it all together
    the SWR sounds , well , hissy(so I turn off the horn) and hmmm "tubby"???
    anyways , here's my plan
    picked up a 1972 ampeg B-15 head only - mint
    I plan to use the SWR cab only
    I also bought a Celestion BL15-150 to replace the SWR speaker
    so .... the SWR has a extension speaker out on the back , if I do not power up the SWR, and plug the B-15 into the SWR ext speaker out , it works fine..... any issues?
    or should I just run a new line into the cab directly to the BL15 -150 and bypass the SWR electronics ???
    I'm also thinking that maybe I should abandon the SWR and just buy a new 1 x 15 cab .... and if thats the conclusion ... any recommendations?
    any design flaws I should be aware of with the SWR cab?
    ./m\.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think option 1 is risky, option 2 would probably work out better, and option3 sounds the best. As to which 1x15 cab, that's a personal taste issue, but since you play a 4001, I assume our taste is similar, so I'd reccomend a Mesa Powerhouse 15, or even a 2x10. The tens are much tighter and punchier, and retain alot of solid bottom. Just a thought. Good luck.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Definitely do not do #1. If you run a line into it, you'll be pushing current up the wrong way of a one-way road. #2 - bypassing the SWR's amplifier section will work, but why go through the trouble? I'd recommend getting a new cabinet.