Need your opinion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bkchang79, Dec 6, 2002.

1. I have a Carvin full stack that I want to get rid of, SWR redhead combo (original), Fender Bassman 25. I definatly want to keep the Fender Bassman 25 for my practice amp and at least sell my Carvin 4x10 and 1x15. Should I stick with my SWR redhead combo and add a 1x15? I'm afraid that 240watts is going to be weak powering the 2x10s and 1x15 so I was thinking about using the Carvin PB500 for that. Or should I just sell my redhead and Carvin stuff and get something completly new.
  2. I like the Mesa Boogie 400+ (can't afford), ampeg 8x10 (too big), Eden cabs, SWR, Mesa Boogie, want to try out the Ampeg BXT-410HL. I would like to keep everything under 1150 and have a 4x10cab and amp/pre. Should I just keep my Carvin amp/pre and just get a new cab? Problem is that I'm looking for a rig that can sound good in all styles of music.
  3. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i had a redhead that i plugged a WM 15 into - i got enough juice to play large clubs (also through PA). In a loud rock band.

you can add another 2x10 to it if you want, or even a 4x10.

my problem was that i grew to dislike the sound of it. i wanted svt tone so i sold teh redhead and bought svt gear.

and i'm very happy with it. but it's purely a matter of taste. the redhead would probably be better if you want to play a bunch of different kinds of music.

4. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    oh - and if you think the ampeg 8x10 is too big - consider the 6x10 hlf. that's the cab i got - it fits in my honda (barely) and sounds great.
  5. Sell the Carvin AND the SWR and get something that you will really enjoy.

Even dip into your bank account if you can because you generally regret having an amp "that will do for now." Get something that will work for most every situation you find yourself in. Practice, loud gigs, quieter gigs, whatever.

What about an SWR Triad or Goliath Sr. for your cab and a used Ampeg head?