Need your opinions on basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lwleaver, Oct 14, 2004.

1. lwleaver

lwleaver Something cute and clever.

Apr 10, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have been playing a Modulus Flea 5 for the past few years. My band is starting to play more frequently, and I needed a good backup bass, just in case. So , a friend of mine sold me a MIM Jazz 5. And I found I am really digging the tone of these basses. The only complaint I have is the B string. While it is pretty good, and am wondering what companies offer the Jazz with the tight B string. Since we play alot of covers, in different tunings and some dropped D stuff I find I rely very heavily on the B string to keep from having to change tunings all night. I love the Flea, but just don't think it is the sound I am going for right now. So, can you guys recommend jazz 5 strings with solid B strings. The few I have read up on are Lakland, Sadowsky, etc.. I do not have alot of money so I would have to sell the Flea to finance a nice replacement. Any help or you opinions would be great.

Oh, in case your wondering I have a 97 Flea 5 in arctic white ( I think that is there name for the color) with a black pearloid pickguard and a single Lane Poor MM.
  2. bajomiley

Oct 15, 2004
    Lima, Peru
    I have a six string Ibanez, the SR3006ESOL prestige model with bartolini pickups. I haven't played too many six or five strings, but I can say this bass is incredible. And the B string for sure sounds great. I know you need a five string, so you can try the SR3005, I supousse this bass sounds great too.
    I had an american Jazz Bass 5 with bartolini pickups. It sounded cool, but in my opinion, it was too far in everything from my Ibanez.
  3. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Overall Im very happy with my Lakland 55-01. ( Never played one before purchase and bought it sight unseen.)

I also have tried out a few Soundgears and they were nice, but something about the neck just didnt "feel" right; it was a physically comfortable bass, but..... I would be "slightly" concerned if it was dropped or otherwise treated roughly..... I dont have that concern with my Lak.

Also, IME, they seemed to rely on the electronics to support the instrument acoustic bass tone, but that may just be the models Ive tried, YEMV....
  4. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    I am happy with the EBMM SR5. Good B string good sound. Works and top notch support from EB.