Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, May 3, 2004.

1. Hartke VX3500 Combo Bass Amp

1 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg BA115 Bass Amp Series Combo

2 vote(s)
  3. Ampeg BA-210SP Bass Combo with Effects

4 vote(s)
  4. Peavey TNT® 115 1x15 200W Bass Combo Amp

0 vote(s)
  5. None of them - (plz state what combo then)

11 vote(s)
  6. Penny pinch your money for another 5 years to get a full stack

8 vote(s)
  1. Hey, i would appreciate it if EVERYONE voted; im getting the money soon and i would like to stick with a combo amp for now-

i play rock, alternative ... just basically new rock stuff and the occasional jazz (mainly rock though)

$700 is my MAX, i still wont have the money saved for another 2 months at the least so... you get my drift. I need one fairly lound, playing in the avarage small high school auditorium, some small partys and other small gigs.

anyway, i got these amps to choose from, vote which one you would get, and PLEASE put your opinion in - trust me, your time is very much appreciated.

and if you choose the option, None of the abovel; then plz state what other choice there might be

- THANKS!!
  2. I played through one of these that a venue already had setup one afternoon...and I really liked it. Pretty versatil little combo, main thing is ya got your XLR out for the sound guy to keep you in the mix, and the inboard effects will save you a ton of cash that would be otherwise spent on pedals. Im seriously thinkiing of picking one up as a spare rig, and for small club venues. (Not that you couldnt use it in a bigger venue).
    Best of luck!
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    used GK MB150S - versatile, good tone out of the box, clean, a bit less growly than most GKs, very light, 100W
  4. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I second the GK combo. I think you'd want a little more power, though, even if you do have a PA.

I know you're looking for a combo, but I bet you could get a good used stack for $700. It doesn't have to be a huge stack, but what about a 2x10 or 1x15 with a separate amp? I've seen Peavey FireBass amps go for really cheap, and eBay has some good deals on GK stuff. Just my .02

5. if you're looking at the BA115, you should also look at the Roland db700... I have the db500 and it rocks. you can get great sound out of it.
    and you probably know you can get a 300w 4x10 ashdown MAG stack for $600- brand new...
  6. Ampeg B2 combos are very good. They come as a 4 X 8" (no longer made) and a 1 X 15." 200 W, 350 W with an extension speaker and an XLR direct out. I have the 4 X 8" version and I love it. I did the full stack thing for years and this works better for me. YMMV
  7. Voted "other because you need to try this one....

...although you'll still need to save your pennies for it!

For something a little more affordable and less powerful (200W vs 800W) try this one..

In either case, you'd need to find a used one to stay in your price range, so maybe this hasn't been as helpful as it might have been. :meh:
  8. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    I just traded in my Ampeg 115HP for the Walkabout and this sucker rocks!
  9. hey, I like the look of those EA's, but i said at MOST i only got 700... not 1000+...

im leaning to a ampeg ba115hp or that hartke
  10. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I voted other. I'd recommend trying a SWR Workingman 12 or 15. Also recently I heard a Yorkville xm100 W-O-W-!-!-! solid, loud, not boomy. check out maybe the xm200 when you get $475 scaped together... here is a review here is the xm100 its lighter...
  11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    For less than $400 you can get the unpowered EA Wizzy cab. I have 2 of them and I must say they are very impressive. For $250 you can get a used SWR Studio 220(there's 2 on eBay right now) and you'll have a smokin rig that's very portable and much better quailty. The Wizzy is a 4 ohm cab so you'll get maximum power from the amp. I know this is not a combo but both items combined weigh in at about 40 lbs and would be very easy to haul around and you'll have a professional quailty rig.
  12. have you seen the SWR LA15?
    i like em. really simple.