Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Needed a n EE or an IEEe guy to eplain..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wesley R, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

First off I apolagize if this was covered before and for the fact that this is a bit of rant.

As a keyboardist buddy stated "Guitarists have it so easey, a handfull of sloppy watts, any old cabinet, loaded with what the heck for speakers, add a fuzz face and a bosstone and you are done."

Bassist don't have that easy, speakers need to match the cabinet, cabinet has to be designed for specific range of response, sound etc. Tranny's need to be physicaly bigger, more overhead, less sag (in the tube world) and all sortsa parameters need to be tighter, bigger and better.

We have discussed watts until most are sick of hearing it. but what about Slew Rate and Dampening Factor? I mean we have to do more than push the cone out, we have to stop the cone travel and suck it back in. Bassists need to do this in a very deliberate fashion.

So what I am asking for is a bit of a disc. on Slew Rate and Dampening Factor.

Sincerely,
    Wesley R.

2. i think you can worry about other things than damping factor and slew rate. apart from "high enough" damping factor in solid state amps and "nonexistent" damping factor in tube amps, there is very little else to say that isn't more in the realm of subjective opinion than objective fact.

for example, crown rates the damping factor of the i*tech line "over 5,000 from 20Hz to 100Hz." of course, the K2 is "over 3,000 from 10 to 400Hz." it's likely that they're the same, since they're both of the same output topology and only the rated frequency has changed. (it should be known by those who care about damping factor that it decreases as frequency increases, i.e. it's much lower at 4,000Hz than at 400Hz.)

what does it mean, though, compared to a Crest Pro 200 amp, which is rated >300:1 @ 20Hz to 1kHz? is the i*tech a tighter sounding amp or is the pro 200? what little difference that may exist between the two is likely swamped out by almost any commonly-used gauge speaker cable. the resistance of even very short speaker cables is enough to halve the published damping factor. how else can an amp control the loudspeaker without a cable to connect them?

similar hand-waving can be done regarding slew rate.

ultimately, the best amplifier is the one that satisfies your priorities the best. you may or may not be looking for a light weight amplifier, an inexpensive amplifier, a good sounding amplifier, a powerrul amplifier, a reliable amplifier, an amplifier that will make your gearhead friends jealous, and amplifier that has a lot of features,ad nauseum. the important items in that list are different for different people, but all of them are more important than damping factor or slew rate.

but, hey, i could be wrong.

robb.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172353

See post #6. There are many other searchable instances of discussion of the subject on Talkbass as well. I'm with Robb, personally. I think there a many other, more important considerations in choosing a bass amp.