Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Needed Info

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Pmutch, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    I want to learn to play the 5-string bass. So I need to know the basic info about what kind I should start out with and how I can learn, etc. Can anyone help me?¿?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Welcome to Talkbass, pmutch.

What type of budget are you looking at in your search for a fiver?

Is this your first bass? If not, how long have you been playing? If you are just starting out, finding a teacher would be one of the best things to do.

3. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    thnx, but I don't have access to a teacher in my area, I know nothing about the guitar, and I have yet to own one. So I need some more advice. What 5-string do ya'lls recomend. Do you think one of those books would help? My budget is kinda low cuz I'm just starting out. You know what I mean. I want a cheaper one that will teach me the basics and then some, then when I become good, I'll buy a more expensive one. Yes your all probably thinkin I'm a dumba$$.. some day I will be as good as your guys & gals

P.S. Bassman those were some nice price

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Not at all...your questions are fine. :)

As far as which five string to try, DaBassman gave you some good advice. Try and look for any used Fender Jazz basses (the ones that are Made In Mexico, or , MIM,) also.

The book situation can be a little tricky. There are many great books for beginners out there. The FAQ page here on TB has some good info on this topic.

Also, you may want to fill out at least the influences part of your profile. This will allow people here to better answer your questions.

5. Pmutch

Pmutch

Jan 16, 2003
    alright thnx man I fill that out and check the FAQ page and look for a used Jazz Fender