Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Needed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Feb 17, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, i've pretty much decided on my head been a Mesa (M-Pulse 600, unless you can convince me otherwise :p) but for cabs i'm kind of stuck.
    I like the sound of the full mesa rig, but it's a fair chunk of money. Cabs i've been looking at are Mesa 4x10 + later adding a 15. Aguilar gs412 and schroeder 21012's. I've also found that mesa did release a 412, so that's really caught my eye. What do you think of these cabs? What would suit me best?
    The thing is really, is a 412 needed? (I play in a loud old school hard rock band) and i like the big low end you get from them.. is there any other way to get the big lows and punch that you can from a 412 with another setup? The thing i find strange/annoying about the Mesa 412 is it's rated at 1200 watts at 8 ohms. So if i wanted to bring it down to 4, i'd add a 2x10 (something like SWR or LDS). I'd end up with around 1500 watts at 4ohms, yet mesa's most powerfull head is only 600 watts at 4? Would that be pretty underpowered? Or would the Pulse 600 handle it ok? Anyone experienced mesa's 412? Or is it not in stores yet?

Budget of around $1000US (Would not rather go over). What do you think?

2. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've never played a Mesa 4x12, but I do own a Mesa 6x10 and every Mesa cabinet I've ever played had a high sensitivity rating so they perform with less wattage. I am currently using a GK 800RB head (300 watts) with my 6x10 and it cooks! It is loud enough for big stages but the cabinet will still perform when the volume is at 1/4 the way up. Mesa stuff is awesome IMO. Good luck!

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I play in a classic rock/blues band with a loud guitarist (alternates between a 50W Trace Elliott and a 200W Custom Evans through two twelves) and a LOUD drummer. I run a Mesa M-Pulse 600 through an Aguilar GS210 and a GS112. This rig can get silly (almost painfully) loud without breaking up and has enough bottom for any medium-sized venue with no PA support. The guitarist is frequently asking me to turn down. :D

The Aggies easily fit into most cars and are easy on your back as well. Just my $.02.

Also, don't be concerned about the 600W rating. After all, they are MESA watts (1 Mesa Watt=100 conventional watts).
    ;)

4. were are you located at?

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Australia :(

The 410 is $2200. Aguilars GS412 is around the $3000 mark over here (Maybe a bit over). So i'm just wondering if theres a cheaper/smaller way to get the big sound and punch/thump. I was looking at schroeders, a 21012 would set me back around $2200 as well... I like the big wall of sound sorta thing though (8x10's are just a bit too big for me) so that's why i was looking at 412's.

The other thing with the mesa 412 is the 8ohms... would running the M-Pulse at 8omh pushing a 1200 watt cab be not too good for it? Or would i even just be better off with a nice 212 and 210/410 or something? (I tried eden 2x12's, sounded real nice and punchy, though lacked that big low end i'm looking for, i was running it on it's own with a GK).

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    don't worry about dmaging the 412 by "underpowering" it. no such thing. however, you might want to stay away from the 8 ohm cab as you won't be using as many watts as you could volume wise. i would go with two smaller cabs like two 2x12s or a couple of shroeders. of course, the aggie 4x12 is relatively light and fits in the back seat of most cars. either one of those options will give you stupid low end and be as punchy as you want.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, the only reason i do like the look of the 8ohm Mesa is the fact that i wouldn't mind putting a 2x10 on top to cut through a bit. I'd then bring the load down to 4. I don't really want to run at 2 with a Pulse 600, that's all.. With the aguilar, the 4x10 goes lower than the 2x12 (40 vs. 41) and i really didn't like the low end i was getting out of a GS410.. do the 2x12's have much more low end? Or I could just run a GS412 on it's own (though i've heard they get lost quite easy) My main role in the band is to provide big full low end, but i do have little bass breaks where i need to cut through (also slap break parts where i really need to cut) using the mesa's EQ and solo switches do you think i could boost mids/volume enough to cut through allright with the 412's?

8. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    all of the aguilar 12" cabs have lots of low end. they can be a bit mid shy when the amp is run flat, but a little boosting of the upper mids (you'll have to fool around until you find the right frequency) helps them cut through just fine. And dont gethung up on the specs. 40 vs 41 Hz is nothing you'll ever notice. also, the voicing of the cabinets is different. the aggie 12" cabs generally have so much low end that a lot of cats actually turn the bass knob on their amp DOWN some. :smug:

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmmm, so lastly. Think the m-pulse and aggy would sound good together?

Oh also, how would that sound running both a MM Sterling and both 6/4 string fretless's through? I hear the aggy's can sound nice and thick/gooey..

10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    IMO I'd get the Mesa 2x12 and the 4x10. You'll have a mixture of the 1x15 bottom and 4x12 mid punch. I currently run my M-pulse 600 through an Ampeg SVT-410HE and it souds awesome. When I stop being a broke teenager I'll sell my two cabs and grab a mesa cab...in which case...I'll be right where you are :bassist:

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey karrot, you still running that rig eh? That's what i'm pretty stuck on, is 412 and 210, or 212 and 410. I did run a mesa 15 + 410 and it had enough (or too much if i wanted) low end. Would i get the same/more low end out of 212? Yet just more punch?

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah i know. It's hard not to generalise for me though as i can't hear most of these cabs. Around here in aus theres not boutique amps, only 12's i've played through are eden 212 and ampeg 412 and most of the other gear is your Ampeg/SWR/GK 15's or 10's.

That's why i'm asking alot of questions. I mean, i want a cab(s) that can pretty much do anything, yet it's finer points big, full low end, can get nice low mid/mid punch and able to growl (With amp tweaking). Also be able to get nice smooth warm tones, yet also clean sounding as well. It's alot to ask for i suppose, but i mean i play things from Mudvayne (thats where i want growl) to Zeppelin/Sabbath (Big full low end) to Jaco (warm) to Stu Hamm (clean and punchy, though i don't want it too bright, or brittle, just a nice clean sound.) then also things like Ben Harper/Marley (smooth) to Ska like Reel Big fish.

I'l be running the Mesa 600 or 400+. The 600 is looking good for versatility, can get pretty big lows, big punch, smooth, yet also clean (Could I use, say a sansamp DI or something to try warmen the tone of the 600?). The 400+ is still there just because of it's tubey goodness.

Got any good cab recomendations for that? lol. I like the big fat punchy sound that you would get from most 412's. Yet i'm not sure if i want to be carrying one around if 2 twelves will do the job.

14. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bump.. anyone want to add anything?