Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

needing a little versatility

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by d_rock211, May 18, 2002.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    While it makes perfect sense to simply try out a bunch of differents strings and see which ones I like, it really isn't financially feasible for me. I am playing a a Yamaha BBN4 w/2 J-style p-ups (passive). Right now, it has some stainless steel strings on it that I don't really like. I did play a buddy's bass with some TI Flats...I really liked that sound, but I also want something that will slap and pop and rock out to a certain degree. Am I asking too much out of a $500 bass and one set of strings? Or is there something that might be able to give me a nice warm tone some of the time and still sound at home in a funk/rock band?

2. sounds like you should just get some nickel roundwounds. try ernie balls. as a general rule, lighter guages for slap and pop, heavier for rocking out, although 100s will probably be fine for either. i use 105s but don't slap too often.

3. I have a Yamaha BBN5 II that's string with Dean Markley Blue steels. It has a very nice balance between warmth and slap tone. (though I don't really slap either)

Try 'em. I'm looking forward to trying a set of Elixirs soon.

Mike J.

4. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    cool, thanks for the suggestions. I will go look around a couple local music stores.

5. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I ended up with the EB Super Slinky's. the difference between these and the crap strings they replaced is indescribable. I'm glad I didn't replace the strings immediately as my friend suggested: I am appreciating the new ones a lot more methinks.