1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

needing a little versatility

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by d_rock211, May 18, 2002.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    While it makes perfect sense to simply try out a bunch of differents strings and see which ones I like, it really isn't financially feasible for me. I am playing a a Yamaha BBN4 w/2 J-style p-ups (passive). Right now, it has some stainless steel strings on it that I don't really like. I did play a buddy's bass with some TI flats...I really liked that sound, but I also want something that will slap and pop and rock out to a certain degree. Am I asking too much out of a $500 bass and one set of strings? Or is there something that might be able to give me a nice warm tone some of the time and still sound at home in a funk/rock band?

2. sounds like you should just get some nickel roundwounds. try ernie balls. as a general rule, lighter guages for slap and pop, heavier for rocking out, although 100s will probably be fine for either. i use 105s but don't slap too often.

3. I have a Yamaha BBN5 II that's string with Dean Markley Blue steels. It has a very nice balance between warmth and slap tone. (though I don't really slap either)

Try 'em. I'm looking forward to trying a set of Elixirs soon.

Mike J.

4. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    cool, thanks for the suggestions. I will go look around a couple local music stores.

5. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I ended up with the EB Super slinky's. the difference between these and the crap strings they replaced is indescribable. I'm glad I didn't replace the strings immediately as my friend suggested: I am appreciating the new ones a lot more methinks.