Needing more presence on my low B

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JWH91, Oct 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JWH91

JWH91

Sep 30, 2017
    Well awesome, I have a question then, what's the difference between the ssb5 and the passive II NYC soapbars for the 5 string bass? Aside from the price difference

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    To my ears, the SSB5 is a true scooped pickup...equal highs and lows with a scooped middle. The NYCs have more bass, with about equal middle and treble.
    The NYCs are also a 4 conductor pickup, for lots of wiring options. The SSB-5 is 2 conductor, so no splitting or fancy wiring there.

3. JWH91

JWH91

Sep 30, 2017
    So I got a quick question. Looking into my 1820 a little closer (granted its close to 30 years old so internet info is scarce) but I think the 18" is only rated for 65hz. I was told otherwise by the guy I bought it from. So here is my query, San Andreas speakers has a 18" for $209 that has a 35hz-2Khz rating at 97db. Swapping these out would be the way to go yes? How difficult is this to do?

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Low end frequency response ratings for speakers aren't absolute numbers in isolation. They depend very much on the box the speaker is put in.

Compare the recommended box specs of the San Andreas speaker for getting that 35hz response to the size and porting of the Peavey cabinet to see if they match.

Chances are they don't.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    monsterthompson likes this.
  5. JWH91

JWH91

Sep 30, 2017
    Well the SA recommends 3.4 cubic ft and the 1820 is a total of 8.4 cubic ft, but that's including the 10s as well.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You have to do the math. Include the 10's and the crossover. And the porting. That is the only way to figure out if that speaker will get the frequency response you want in that box.