Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Needs Advice For Pro Metal/Rock Loud Rig !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zipscribe, May 4, 2005.

1. Zipscribe

Zipscribe

May 3, 2005
    I am in need for an advice on a rig as mentioned. Let me first intruduce myself:Bassplayer from Norway, now present in Poland. I am now playing a Death Metal band and will soon buy some new equipment, but WHAT ? is WHAT i need ?
    Been looking at:SWR,Eden,Thunderfunk,EBS and GK.I need a stack that is:Loud,Clean at high volumes,have a strong defined Low, and everything needed to bring the bass through
    in a set of:2 loud Marshall playing guitarists, 1 trigger hammering double kick drummer, and a roaring bass voice vocalist(any of u guys tried that ? ) I will think head first, but, possible with a 4x10(or 210) top and a 18" or 15" sub.
    I was first thinking SWR sm 900, but wonder if it has enough kick and "life" in it. Thunderfunk and EBS have aprox 500 watts, and i worry if thats enough to drive 1000 watts of speakers well !( mabe its goood ?) so: Give it to me boys !!

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    we are pooooor little lambs
    who have lost our way
    baa...
    baa...
    baaaaaa...............

3. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hey Zip, this is the Double Bass forum, are you playing Double Bass? you might be luckier on the BG side, those guys with the plank usually play at higher volume than us...

NUNO

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you like the sound of Eden speakers, they will do a great job of filling out the stage sound due to high sensitivity and power handling, and front porting. Since you asked for clean at high volumes I'm assuming you're not into the Ampeg SVT sound. My cabinet choice for your gig would be Eden D410XLT and D115XLT (or even D215XLT) cabinets.

For the head, I don't think the SM-900 or thunderfunk will have the kind of volume you are looking for. I'd reccomend a rack setup with an Ampeg preamp and a powerful stereo power amp such as a QSC PLX2402, Crest CA9, or Eden WT1250. If you want an all-in-one head, look at the Ampeg SVT4 Pro or Eden WT-1205 (whenever that comes out). 1000 watts is going to work out better for you than 500.

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Look into a aguilar db750 head and gs412 cab. Other than that I like a 410/212 cab combo with a preamp/power amp set up.

6. +1 on the pre/power amp setup. Unless you go with a really high powered head like the Ampeg SVT 4pro (1600watts @ 4 ohms), you should go with a preamp/power amp set up. You can buy one power amp with all the wattage you'll ever need, and shop around for the pre that suits your style.

For cabinets, you're competing with at least 8 12" guitar speakers, so I suggest, at minimum, 6 10"s...but preferably two 4x10 cabinets or a 4x10/1x15 setup. If you need huge gutteral bass, maybe a 2x10/2x15 rig would suit you better. I like the Eden idea for bass projection, but SWR does pretty well. Not familiar with EBS cabs, but they're probably too clean and nice for your style.

The SM900 is probably not enough for your needs. Neither is the Thunderfunk or EBS head. If you go with GK, I'd suggest the 2000rb, or go with their Preamp into a power amp.