needs ideas re: walking the changes to "Mood Indigo"

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by AJ Love, Oct 19, 2003.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I am playing Mood Indigo at a studio session in a few days. I have a chart for it and I have a pretty good idea of how to play it, but any ideas for making the walking lines flow smoothly would be much appreciated. its a Quintet recording, we're playing in 2 through the head and then I am walking in 4 during the solos

thanks much in advance
  2. I think you're going about this the wrong way. Commit the tune to memory, get totally familiar with the changes. At the performance, you should be listening to the other players; your choice of notes should be your own inspiration at the moment, as the music unfolds.
    Ed would have said it more clearly. I'm tired.
  3. I agree with Don about choosing your bass notes based on what is happening with the rest of the band. But to have some idea of what your choices are, listen to various recordings of the tune, starting with the original. Michael Moore and Gene Bertoncini did a nice version, also.

Since the tune is typically done at a slow tempo, I find that chord tones make for the best lines. Scalar and especially chromatically oriented lines tend to expose dissonances (at slower tempos) with the chordal instrument too much for my taste. So when given a choice between an approach note that is also a chord tone and one that is not, I usually play the one with the dual function. Check past threads on target and approach notes if you havn't yet.
  4. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    thanks for the responses so far...I like to use approach notes on the 4th beat of a bar often...I agree that its best to listen and compliment whatever else is going on musically.

looking for any specific tips one might have with this particular song
  5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    This tune is usually played real slow, so the trick is for you and the drummer not to let it get logey. The whole rhythm section has to really lock in tight. You'll have plenty of sustain on EB, so build rhythmic variety into your line.

And have fun!
  6. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    As this was a favorite of Mingus, John Handy has played this composition for years. The song is so sultry, I found that it was a great launching pad for bass liberties during the head; kind of a call and response. It's such a simple tune but oh what depth one can make of it!