Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Needs strings bad

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CRazY baSsISt, Mar 2, 2001.

1. CRazY baSsISt

CRazY baSsISt

Aug 30, 2000
    Ok i'm sorry if someone posted one of these topics before.I've had my strings for about 7months and I really need new ones.So im looking for ones that are for a Fender Precision Bass MIM.I play mostly Red Hot Chili Peppers and heavy metal.I also play some punk stuff.So please tell me some strings that would be best for me.Thank you all.Mike

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, this can be only general advice, since everybody has to find 'his' strings on his own (there's hardly anything more personal in terms of choosing equipment than the choice of strings).

- Stainless steel strings: You might start out with those since you're after a bright slap sound (a.k.a. Flea)

- long-scale

- gauges: either .045-.105 or .040-.100

I'm not that familiar with the brands available in the U.S., so others might be able to give competent advice on good brands...

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Considering the music you mentioned, DR Hi-Beams would be a good choice. (I don't use them but that's because I don't usually play the music you do). Many bassists you've heard of use them, especially the metal monsters.

If the price is too steep, consider a set of Detroit Bass at www.webstrings.com

If you go with a premium brand like the DR's and live in the US, (your profile isn't filled out), try www.getstringscheap.com or www.juststrings.com

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I cant stand them but you might try a set of ghs bass boomers! They seem to be populer with heavy bands! I saw that godsmack uses them! Iam not sure i play jazz funk stuff so i use warwicks black labels! But they bight whn you have to buy the damn things!!hehe goog luck it took me years to find the right strings!