Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neep opinions on pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by reasonbass, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Hello, I just scored a pair of dimarzio ultra jazz 5 pickups and I was wondering if it will be and improvement on my stock MEC pickups on my warwick corvette. any experiences will be appriciated

thanks
    rodrigo

2. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hey Rodrigo,

Are the ultrajazz 5 pups the same size of the MECs? Have you installed them yet?

Paulo.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    To jump in, I just did this last night.

For background, my Thumb 5 had MEC's in it since I got it. Despite all the bashing they get, I was happy enough with them. They died late last year, and so I decided to take the opportunity to replace them with an all Barts system - HR3.3 preamp and 59J#1 set.

I wasn't happy with the result, not enough bass coming out even with the bass eq cranked full.

Pulled out the barts last night, put in a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz 5's. Both neck and bridge pup's are long (3.75") in this set, perfect size for an old Thumb 5.

It's too early to give a full result, but right away I can tell they're giving a good amount more bass than the Barts. I'll post back in a day or two once I've lived with them for a bit. I don't know yet if they're "the one", but they're a definite step up from what I had.
    Maybe I just had a bad set of Bart pups, who knows, but it wasn't a real positive experience for me.

Whilst I'm here, I want to mention GtrHeaven, where I got the Dimarzio's for $99. Friendly service, fast delivery. I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer.

4. yes they are the same size, the only thing is that the strings don't size up well along the pole pieces. I installed the pups with and emg BTC control. And it sounds alot warmer with really deep lows without getting muddy and and smooth buttery highs, the string alignment is not a problem and i now have some tremendus punch for slap.