Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nefertiti

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jazzbo, Jul 18, 2002.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This is definitely one of my favorite tunes. I've worked on it during several sessions with my teacher, and I really think this song has dramatically helped my rhythm. I'm wondering though, I've never heard any one else play it, except for the original recording. Does anybody here regularly play it? Do you have any specific approaches to the tune? And, most importantly, does anybody have any recordings of themselves playing it? I'd love to check them out.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Very nice. Thank you Samuel.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Pat Martino did a nice, brief ballad version on his album "Starbright". Just him and Gil Goldstein.

5. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    There's an incredible version of it on Mark Turner's "Ballad Session" album with Brian Blade, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Kevin Hays, and Larry Grenadier. Rosenwinkel's solo is the best recorded solo I've ever heard on that tune, period.

I agree, that is a great tune. We play it with my trio and quartet a lot, and, depending on who I'm playing with, I'll do it in my duo as well. Really fun to solo on too. I have a recording of one of my groups from a while back playing it. Only the pianist and guitarist solo on it though. I could try to get an MP3 of it to you if you'd like.

6. great tune. I've only heard it live at the Wayne Shorter tribute concert that SF Jazz put on in 2000. I read something with Wayne and he said he wrote it in 5 mins!!

Sorry no other versions. See you at the end of the month!

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Theres a version of it with Stanley Clarke,Lenny White,Michel Patruciani,and Wayne Shorter on a recording called the Manhatten Project.