1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neg Feedback Deserving Behavior

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BobKos, Nov 18, 2019.

1. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    There is a recent thread discussing negative feedback and whether a particular seller deserves it. I cast my thoughts in that thread and would like to share an experience that happened just today. THIS is what Negative Feedback behavior looks like:

The Item:
    warmoth bass guitar awsum build with new artist tweed hsc | eBay

The Dialogue:

Me: Hi:
    I have a questions about your jazz bass:
    Is the neck standard taper or slim taper? Does the neck have steel rods or graphite rods?

How much does the bass weigh?

Can the action be set low without buzzing and other playability issues?

Are there any mechanical or electronic issues?

Sorry for so many questions. I can't hold it and play it so I have to ask.

Thanks,
    Bob

Seller: hi bob I really cant answer your questions as I took this on trade. but heres the warmoth site may help a bit

Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Bass Necks

Me: You can't answer ANY of my questions? Do you actually have the bass?

Seller:
    lol your an ass remove your bid plz

Seller: plzz renove

Me: This bass didn't sell last time you listed it. I was prepared to spend good money on it but NO WAY I'm getting involved with an ass like you. Pls remove my bid.

True story.

rmayer likes this.
  2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    This is what I saw:

- You saw a bass you were interested in.
    - You asked questions about the bass.
    - Seller was unable or unwilling to answer these questions.
    - You became snarky.
    - Seller asked you to go away.

IMO no need for negative or any feedback.

3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I wouldn't be able to answer most of those questions, either. Sending you to the website for the specs so that you could learn more about the model seems like a reasonable response. If he's flipping the bass, he might not have even played it, and if there are already bids, there's already someone else he knows he can sell it to without doing so much work.

4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I don’t think this transaction was meant to be.

5. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't know why buyers feel like they can treat sellers any type of way.

I've been treated like :poop: by buyers because they think they're doing me the favor of a million lifetimes buying my gear. They're not.

Sounds to me like you missed out on really cool, nice looking bass. More than the seller "missed out" on that sale.

6. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I really don't get it, either. Especially when much of the information people typically ask for can be found if you just google <model specs> . When you're selling something and you have ten people asking you for information that's easily found online, it gets to be more trouble in terms of the amount of time you're spending than it's sometimes worth. Buyers do have a responsibility to do some research before they buy. Asking questions of the seller is kind of iffy, because sometimes the sellers don't really know much about what they have (estate sales, something that belonged to dad, that sort of thing) and, occasionally, sellers are dishonest. You owe it to yourself as a buyer to find out what it is that you're supposed to be looking at.

Yeah, I can give you a weight and I can tell you how I have it set up. And for detailed specs I can send you the manufacturer's website. I'm not going to set it up differently for every buyer who asks a question to see how it performs that way, any more than I'm going to swap out strings to tell you how it sounds with flats vs. rounds or this brand vs that brand.

7. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Banned SUSPENDED

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Neg Feedback Deserving Behavior

meh-jason-leonti.jpg

Jimmy4string and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  8. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm siding with the OP here. He asked very reasonable questions that I could answer about any instrument I own. (Except perhaps the action/buzzing question. I could only answer about how I have it set up, not how you might do it). The sellers refused to answer any questions, so whether the seller has possession of the instrument is a reasonable concern.

It's a parts bass, so there is no model to look up.

DirtDog, rmayer, Matt R. and 13 others like this.
  9. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Right, you could answer them because you're the original owner of the bass and you know what you bought. But I don't know that every seller is anywhere close to that knowledgeable about the things they're selling. So it's kind of a crap shoot. If you're not able to answer those questions, what are you supposed to do? Lie?

10. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    If the seller can't even tell you whether there are any electronic or mechanical issues, that's just flat-out ridiculous.

11. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    No transaction took place, so feedback is irrelevant. The seller doesn’t deserve any business of any kind, because calling a potential customer an “ass”, regardless of the customer’s behavior, is no way to do business.

Paula Warren, dune, murphy and 12 others like this.
  12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A couple of years ago, I spotted a Hartke 3500 head on eBay for about $100. I was about to pull the trigger when I noticed that the seller had inserted something about 90-day turnaround on shipping.

I sent him a message asking if he really intended to wait three months to ship the amp and he replied with a rant about how much he hated shipping amplifiers and mentioned some sort of vague threat if I asked anymore questions, which I did, of course. Maybe he should have left me negative feedback.

13. when You asked if he even had the bass that could’ve been taken the wrong way.
    Hopefully the two of you can go back to equal footing and figure this out if it’s a bass you really want.

kopio and organworthyplayer337 like this.
  14. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    It's a Warmoth custom build. Neck spec could be anything. Weight could be anything. Build quality could be anything. Mechanical and electronic integrity could be anything. So as a buyer I asked. There are no published specs on this bass.

BAG, PSPookie, J-Mags and 4 others like this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Guys, not all (or even most) musicians are as knowledgeable or anal about equipment as the average TBer. Someone lists a used bass here in the classified for $275, with 8 photos showing every nick in the finish, and within 30 seconds someone asks what it weighs, and wants more photos.

GC lists a new bass for five times that, with no mention of weight, and lists a used bass for $800 with just a vague, general discription of condition, and it sells.

16. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    ^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^
    It's always a buyers market. If a seller is rude and/or condescending I just take my money elsewhere.

17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    It’s VERY possible that the seller ISNT a musician and knows nothing about gear. What’s flat-out ridiculous is the OPs reaction from calm to high school girlfriend/boyfriend breakup status within 2 short emails.

18. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I understand that you wanted to know, and those are legitimate questions, but if the buyer can't answer there are also legitimate reasons that could be the case. Best to just move on.

/\/\3phist0, kesslari, rtav and 3 others like this.
  19. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    No, it's not actually a buyer's market. It's a buyer's market if a) the seller doesn't have any other interest and b) the seller feels like dealing with whatever the buyer might come up with.

I own a lot of stuff. I might think about selling some of it, but if I don't have an intense need for the funds that sale brings, I'm not necessarily going to be inclined to jump through your hoops just because you think you're entitled to that.

My stuff, my rules, and that goes for how I sell it and who I sell it to, too.

20. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Plausable deniability. He is not committing to anything, that way when received, sorry sold as is.

smogg, FRoss6788, BobKos and 3 others like this.