1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Negative feedback....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Asylum-49, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Asylum-49

Asylum-49

Jan 7, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Has anyone got any stories / examples of getting negative feedback from other band members, but to their annoyance you’ve taken it as a compliment?

I once had a rhythm guitarist in a hard rock band tell me “You’re too funky, Matt! Too funky!” Thank you for that. Sorry for not mindlessly sticking to the root note.

On another occasion and a different band. After getting in and finding my feet with this new band. I started bringing a lot of riffs & song ideas to rehearsal. Until the guitarist pulled me to one side and asked “why can’t you just go back to writing the f’n basslines?” Hey I can’t help it if the rest of the band like my stuff better than yours....

Yeah, I didn’t last much longer in either band after those two conversations!

Although my friends did call me ‘Too Funk’ for ages after the first incident.

GlennRH and craigie like this.
  2. Iamgoodformetal

Iamgoodformetal

Apr 13, 2014
    Nobody wants to humblebrag?

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    A lot of talk bass posters tell me I'm far too talented, good looking intelligent and fun, but I always take it as a compliment.

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Oddly enough I can't recall ever receiving negative feedback.
    I've received my share of constructive feedback, however.
    Maybe it's all in how you look at it.

Asylum-49 and Alik like this.
  5. Too many times at too many gigs - for the guitarist - people would come up to me after a set and say things like, "Wow! You're an awesome bass player."

Here's how that was negative feedback: The guitarist took this as an insult to him. After all, the bass is just a backing instrument, right? Bass and drums support the spotlight players: guitar and vox.

I learned to say to the guitarist things like, "You never know what a little alcohol on a night out will do to people's musical sensibility, eh?" and "When the guitar playing sounds just right, people just take it for granted."

Asylum-49 likes this.
  6. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    You know you hang out too much at amp forums when you read this title and expected a discussion about phase inverters and resistance values.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    JonLM, Rivoli, Asylum-49 and 5 others like this.
  7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I was once told I wasn’t a good fit for a band because, “You put in all that fancy stuff that’s on the record”. Of course, I gladly bowed out, and those guys never came close to playing a gig. :)

Asylum-49 and two fingers like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    :roflmao:

Asylum-49 likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I am currently being berated in one of my two bands because I'm "too picky over things that don't matter".

Apparently all you gotta do is "pick the right songs and nobody really cares if you play them right".

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::spit::mad::sour::rollno::thumbsdown::poop::banghead:

So, yeah, I'll take that as a backhanded complement that my standards are "too high".

Asylum-49 and richntiff like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021