Negative female images in the fashion industry.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm trying to look up some stuff for a project i'm working on. And I cam across this picture of a model. She is pretty horrid, how is she a model?

Talk about needing to eat a sandwhich. People find this attractive? Those have got to be the longest femur bones I have ever seen. I see average girls every single day who look 100 times better without the makeup and goofy clothes, I wonder why they aren't models.

Food is good, these models and the girls they influence are really missing out on delicious eats.
  2. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    LOL!... yea, I personally think that boney look is horrid as well. Gimme a girl with some meat on her bonez'.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    She'll make more money in life with her appearance than you will with your spelling.

Maybe you should add "perspective" to the list of things you simply don't "get." :rollno: Of course, that's a very long list.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    LOL>.you'd turn that down, eh Bad? :D
  5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Why must I use perspective when looking at a skeleton? What's to perceive?
  6. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I might (how much booze are in my system would dictate that). Those bone legs are just odd looking though. She wouldn't be my type anyways.
  7. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas

I agree, she's too skinny. Makes me want to lock her in a room with chicken-fried steak and gravy until she eats.

But at the same time...When you become a model, its a job, like anything else. Sometimes, you get to look beautiful and wear things you just really love, and be a picture to behold.

And other times, some idiot with a Warhol fetish makes you wear white lipstick, and you do it, 'cause they're gonna pay ya.

All kinda ways to make a living. I just hope my tall-and-leggy daughter doesn't choose that particular one. We enjoy food way too much for that.

8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    She's perfect. Here's the thing about modeling. If a woman (not all, mind you) sees that it looks thin on the model, it'll look thin on her. Not into business, are ya?
  9. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    heres the industry secret!
    you dont have to be hot
    "editorial" is a term used for ugly/nappy looking models and that is the actual majority of all models
    she dosent have to be hot she just has to be TALL!
    thats the bottom line -TALL-
  10. Yeah, that's the case. I don't know why, but that's what it is.
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

I'm sure she'd be heartbroken to hear that, too.:crying:
  12. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    I wouldnt toss her out of bed.
  13. 3 things to live by while going through the world of TB.

1) Opinion.
    2) Spell Checks.
    3) Carrots.

oh yeah, and I guess Bass related stuff could be number 4...:D
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    True enough, but how many women have you seen wearing the things these wafer females wear?

I agree. Too thin is not a good thing.
  15. ... no thanks. I'd like something to hold onto, if that's ok.

Thin models are not good for the average woman's self esteem, either. Nor are buff man models good for the average male's self esteem. Personally I find models are not an accurate representation of society, and it disappoints me; it breaks my heart to see or hear about people who I've been at school with starve themselves to death because they want to obtain bodies like that.

I want to go on, but I can't find words to explain myself properly.
  16. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Who needs words when you can have a picture?

Karen Carpenter
  17. Why are we attacking this women? What has she done to us?

Move on.
  18. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    I don't think she's being personally attacked, just what she represents and the negative effect it has on other women's self image.

I don't see a problem with that. As a matter of fact, it's one of the most relevant topics I've seen here in a long time.
  19. MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    I am 5' 9" and only 130lbs. I guess I need a skinny woman to match me.
  20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its not even about business... she's unattractive.

and yea, chalk me up for model hating.