Negativity towards EUBs in DB forum - so we need a forum "without prejudice"?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Just lately I have noticed a trend of a lot of negativity towards Electric Upright Basses - derogatory comments - along the lines of get a real DB and don't bother.:meh:

In itself this doesn't bother me - but I think it is putting people off who are interested in EUBs but don't want to get their heads bitten off by posting and asking about them in the DB forums.

So, I noticed that there have been threads about EUBs in the BG area and people have said that they know DB people won't like these basses, so they posted there.

The other big thing for me is that I am getting loads of PMs from people asking about EUBs - as they know I have one and am prepared to stand up for them in the DB forums.

Now - this is a problem for me and I don't think it is good for the forums or everybody else.

So No 1 - I am in no way - the world's expert on EUBs - there are undoubtedly people around here, who know more and could give better advice. But as I say - people are PM'ing me as they are too frightened to put their heads above the parapet in DB land and get a load of negative replies!!

I think it would be far better for people to put these questions in an open forum where people can chip in and add their experience an comments and not just have them hidden away in my PM list!!

So - could we have a forum - or a part of a forum where it is about EUBs - but people are not allowed to say "bad stuff" about the concept of EUBs in general - rather like the Tabs forum. So we know Tabs are bad - but just in that forum we are not allowed to say so!! ;)

So - a forum that is for asking about EUBs where people won't come in and say - just get a real DB, loser!! :meh:
  2. To me, as a Fichter EUB owner, that sounds like a great idea!

3. Bruce Lindfield

I think it would be useful to existing owners, but I was really thinking it would be a big benefit to people who are thinking about getting one and looking for comparisons etc. ?
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Paul, Paul, all the big Double Bassists are making fun of me. :crying:

5. Bruce Lindfield

As I said it doesn't bother me - but a lot of people are so bothered, that they are PM'ing me rather than ask their questions in an open forum - which to me, says that something is wrong...:meh: :meh:
  6. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Perhaps there are deeper issues if someone fears getting picked on over an internet forum.

Aren't the negative replies, providing they aren't nasty and actually are backed up with experiances or knowledge (i.e. no sayin "EUBs are for sissies"), good? I don't think if someone was to go into bows and ask if they should play French or German that people should be discouraged from telling them that they shouldn't play one or the other kind. Although not the greatest anology, it is the same kind of "ban negativity" attitude. Most of the people who are anti-EUB may very well have legitamate reasons why.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

And I can give you dozens of legitimate reasons why Tab is bad for beginners - but we still have a Tablature forum with rules that say you must not criticise Tab!!:meh:
  8. EUB's have their advantages and disadvantages. If someone wants to start out on EUB rather than acoustic, then s/he is entitled to ask questions, and I believe that the answer "get an acoustic" is not a very useful one. "Get a teacher," on the other hand, is!

However, an aspiring EUB player does have to be aware of the fact that there are fundamental differences between the doghouse and the EUB, but this does not take away the fact that the EUB has its own merits which we must be able to discuss without being bashed.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I think a EUB subforum would be a great idea. The question is - where? BG or DB?

I think Bruce should be the moderator, too.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I was just picking on someone who is notorious for picking on people. ;)

And I also do think this is a good idea. They are two different instruments.
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I think that's a good idea, Bruce. Probably makes sense to put it in the Electric bass side of the house.

Of course people will still come in and rag on them (just like some do in the Tabs forum hint-hint;)) but maybe it'll keep it to a minimum.
  12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm in favor of the idea. An EUB forum would be of interest to me.
  13. Bruce Lindfield

There seem to be a few people supporting this and it's a pretty good response for most of the threads/suggestion here - so how about it?

I feel the negativity is getting worse if anything and there still isn't really anywhere for people to go to ask about EUBs - if they go to DB they will just be told to look at the newbie links and get a 'real' bass!!

If it just needs a moderator, I'd be happy to volunteer...if no-one else wants to do it?
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Another suggestion about this ....
  15. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I'm not sure what to say, but here are some of my (rnd) thoughts.

While I think it is good to have a dedicated EUB forum, I also think that fragmentation of bass players isn't good and shouldn't be nessecary. If such a trend continues, we shall soon have a forum for those that play four strings, those that play five strings, with a pick, using flatwounds, german vs french bows, amplified vs. acoustic, extended range vs. not so extended (where is the limit BTW?), etc etc.

If it was up to me, there would be one forum for Bass, be it electric, acoustic, upright, synth, wind, bowed, picked, electric acoustic, acoustic upright, electric upright.... you get the idea.
    But two forums like it is now (bass guitar and double bass) is a good solution IMHO; as long as the users can be grown-up enough not to diss others based on what instrument they play (and what it is made of and how it is amplified and how many strings it has or hasn't, etc.).

Allright, I'll step down from my soap-box now. :)
  16. Bruce Lindfield

Well I just noticed another thread about EUBs in the BG forum

- and it seems there are quite few people roud here with EUBs, but who don't post in the DB forum - no doubt due to comments about why don't you get a real DB!! :meh:

Anyway - the point is that threads like this are hopelessly lost in the BG Basses forum - whereas, if there was an EUB part, then people could look in there to see what had been said before, but as it is they don't know where to go!!

So every time they want to ask a question about EUBs it is like starting from scratch and everybody who has an EUB has to say the same things over and over! :meh:

It would make far more sense for all the threads about EUBs to be grouped togather as there are quite a few members with EUBs now - but I notice that most of these people (apart from the odd one or two) don't post in the DB forums.

I would like to do what Chris F has done in DB-land and group together all the "collected wisdom" about EUBs in one place and then point people to this as "Newbie Links" rather than having people say the same things every time there is a new thread!
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Agreed. It should be in the BG territory, with Bruce or another well known EUBer as mod, and it should have a sticky with links to the pertinent forums on the DB side of the boards for things like technique, strings, rosin, etc...
  18. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yea, verily! Let it be so!
  19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have no problem with an EUB forum, but I gotta wonder, is this "negativity" a perception from the past or a reality of the present? Because when I look around the DB forums these days, most of what I see sounds kind of like this:

Newbie: I was thinking of getting an EUB or a DB and can't decide if getting an EUB would be a good stepping stone between BG and DB or not. Thoughts?

DB Curmudgeon: There's only one reason to go to all of the trouble of getting a Double Bass - THE SOUND. If the sound of a doghouse is what you're after, get a doghouse. If the sound of a fretless plank is what you're hearing, get a fretless plank. But whatever you do, don't get a fretless or an EUB and expect it to sound like a double bass, 'cause it ain't gonna happen and then you'll be disappointed.

(repeat variations from both sides)

Honestly, I don't see what's so scary about this. :confused:

But that said, if folks think a dedicated EUB forum would be the way to go, that's fine, just as long as it's made clear that eveyone with an interest in any subjects that cross pollinate with DB topics is welcome to just show up down in DB and post. :)

By all means, if you want to get a head start, start collecting links and forward them to me so I can add them to the existing "Newbie Links" down in "Basses". Then, when and if your forum gets added, I can just copy the lot of them to you, and you can make a links thread in the new forum. No problem at all.