Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Negotiating on a Blemished Instrument ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Jan 12, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

There is a Sting Tele bass at a local store that I've been keeping my eye on. It plays great but it's been hanging there for months.

I found out that it was recently dropped and it has a quarter-sized ding on the lower bout -- the finish is scraped away all the way down to the bare wood.

I'm curious -- how much should I be asking/expecting the shop to discount the price based on that damage?

I welcome all replies!

2. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I bought my Stingray the same way. It had a chip in the paint about 1/8" in diameter.

They gave me 20% off, and I didn't even ask. I just mentioned that it had a chip... of course, in the hopes for a little off, but I never thought they'd knock that much off. Ended up being about $220 off on an $1,100 bass.

The chip was on the bottom, rear edge of the body. Not visible unless you look at the bass from the bottom.

3. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I think a quarter sized ding is pretty significant ... is this a vintage bass?

see what they say about it first, maybe they will offer more off than you think (not likely, but possible) . I would think that otherwise they should take 20-30% off.

- Tom

4. Take a picture, show us what it looks like, i'm being very curious atm!

5. IotaNet

Nope -

Just a plain 'ole Sting P-bass, complete with the inlay.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    First, as others have suggested, just point out the damage and see what kind of discount the store offers.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $450 + tax. The list is $899 for a Fender Sting Bass, so $450 is probably what the store paid for it. This would allow the store to break-even and move a damaged instrument...

7. IotaNet

I first saw it last week. When I called yesterday to inquire about a reduced price, I was quoted $550.

That didn't seem like a deep enough discount but if I show up with $450 in hand, I'm thinking they may take it.

Opinions?

8. There has been one of these sting basses sitting at the music store around ehre since the day i started playing bass 6 years ago. It hasn't moved, and i'm just waiting for it to be dropped so I can see what might be taken off the price. Does this make me a bad person.:p

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i get sad when nice instruments get large dings :bawl: .

10. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Nah, only if you drop it yourself for the discount. :ninja:

11. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    Were you the one who dropped it? :)
    Try going in with $400 in hard and the other $50 stuffed in your shorts. Tell them they're going to have to work for it. :)

12. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    +1

Tell them you have $400. Give them a whiny bit of a hard time (just for a little) and see if they give. If not, tell them you'll be right back and see if you can borrow some more money. Come back in about 15 minutes, tell them you could only come up with an extra 50. Tell them to take it or leave it. If they don't take it, then obviously they must've paid way more than they should have, and it isn't worth paying more.

13. IotaNet

LOL!

You guys are funny! FWIW, I was not the one who dropped it. As a 44-year old dad with (at least a little bit) of class & dignity, I also won't whine and beg them to take my money.

I was always taught that Money talks and bulls**** walks. If I decide to buy this thing, I'm going to see how loudly my money speaks to them. The key was to figure out how much money to put on the table and you guys have been very helpful there!

Thanks!