Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Negotiating Prices

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by UnsungZeros, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Nearly always

28 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Just about never

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Depends on the sticker price

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I've noticed that a lot of people never seem to be smart enough to try to negotiate prices when purchasing gear. Much like car buying, some people just accept the sticker price and pay it. Do you commonly practice negotiating prices when buying gear? Post any tips you have for getting good prices.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I actually shop around a LOT, turn companies on each other, use price matching to my advantages and basically make stores battle each other deciding who wants me as a customer more.

With two years sales experience, I generally have a good idea how low people will be going to go before walking.

3. I've never paid sticker price for a piece of equipment and I'm not going to start now.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have done this to get my BXT cabinet. It was a floor demo and they still wanted $700 for it. I got it for $600 tax included.:D :bassist:

5. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Always!! Never pay what they ask for. If they won't come down on a price, shop elsewhere!

6. I always shop around for the best price on equipment that I'm interested in, even though I sometimes feel a bit guilty for haggling over price as I realise that everyone has to make a living. But when I check on the internet to see whatever I'm after is selling for elsewhere in the world, and compare that to the inflated prices that we are paying in Australia, ( prices adjusted ) then I don't feel too bad at all. :rolleyes: :cool:

7. well over here there arn't any music shops for miles [and seing as how i aint got a car] i realy have to..i realy should learn to drive :).

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Just go to (or call) bass central and be done with it! Forget the shopping around, why waist my time? If BC carries it, I know I will get the best price or at least within cents of it. Of course, if they don't carry what I am looking for, they I do the shopping around thing.

9. Unless you ever decide to buy Mesa gear. :) But if you have a secret connection, let me know.;)

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If I had lots of money I wouldn't really care and I'd just pay what the store is asking. Haggling gives me an ulcer, BUT, I haven't lots of money, so I've become very practiced at the art. I've been thrown out of music stores I'm so good at it. :)

Confidence and persistence are IMO the 2 most important things. I go from store to store telling them simply and honestly that I'm shopping around and I'm going to buy it at whatever store gives me the best price, end of story. That usually gets them to drop to what would pretty much be their bottom line (they'll still drop from there but it gives a good idea of where they're at). I then take that price and and use it at the next store. I keep going around shooting for the lowest, then pull cash out in front of whoever wins the low bid and tell them this is all I have (which is less than what they're asking). if they won't go for it, and it really is the lowest price i've found, i'll come back later with the rest of the money.

salespeople (especially managers and storeowners) can smell when someone is serious about what they're saying when it involves $$$. if someone is confident they're not going to go over a certain price, and doesn't seem wishy-washy, i think that goes a real long way.

i paid $995 tax included for my MM sterling. :D

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Although the majority of my gear is used, I always try to haggle (unless the price is stupidly good in which case I don't wanna scare off a buy ie my 300W trace elliot combo for £150 in cluding p+p).

Bass wise, I've haggled down all of them apart from my first one..I did score a cable and strap though :D

12. Here's my techinique....

I'll go into the store knowing what the price is, and have exactly enough to pay for it, full price. However, I'll keep 50-100 bucks in another pocket, so when i show them my wallet and empty it out i'll say "I only have this much, can you spot me 100 or so?" and they'll either say "sure" or "if you can scrounge up an extra 25 bucks then we got ourselve's a deal"

You can't save a whole lot this way, but its almost guranteed to work.

13. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    Guitar Center always has a game to play. So I played it game and bought an EB MM S.U.B. for 600, only to make the dude give me a SKB Stingray hardshell case, a few packs of GHS Boomers.

Really, my style is pretend to be such a n00b they'll try to take advantage of you, then spin it back on them.

Another good one with the GC chain is go on a day when their division supervisor is there. They usually will have some thing on where whoever sells the most gear gets to go to Florida or something of that sort. Always take advantage of that, lol.

14. :confused:

Did you get a special price on your supporting membership here?

:confused:

:D

15. If memory serves (all two brain cells of it), I've negotaited price on nearly everything I've ever purchased.

However, recently I bought a keyboard amplifier from GC. Their sale price on a new unit (clearance price, selling 'last year's model' since the mfr's new line was now on the floor) was less than what used units are selling for on ebay. Didn't bother negotiating on that one, just snagged it as fast as I could before anyone else noticed the killer deal.

:)

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I always try to haggle for bass gear. Sometimes I've had to get things ordered....but usually I've done my homework and will get them to get things in for what other places are asking...roughly.

And then there are always the goodies that they throw in....that always helps!

17. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    When buying over the net from Bass NW, Bass Central, MF, Parts Express, Music 123, I always shop around for the best price. Then after I found it, I order it and ask them to through in free shipping. This usually works! So, you have found the best price in the net, and they are shipping it to you for free.

18. There's almost always plenty of headroom in in-store prices. I honestly believe the shops expect to be haggled down in price. Also, shops now have to compete with on-line stores which are usually cheaper.

Because I never impulse buy I survey the market for the best prices and the pros and cons of buying from the various dealers, both shops and on-line, for the product in question. I write it all down so ending up with a kind-of league table with the establishment at the top of the list being the one that's right to buy from, for my given needs and circumstances.

I can then go into a shop fully armed with all the facts (keep the list in my pocket unless absolutely have to produce it) and say something like. 'I can buy X at XX dealer for £££. That's ££ cheaper than you. If you'll match it, you've got a sale.'

Vary rarely do you get turned away because, as I said, there's enough headroom already built into their price.

It does take some balls to do it, though, and I suppose being a middle aged bloke helps because I'm perceived as being more experienced in life, and all that sort of thing...if you see what I mean.

:D

John

19. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm willing to pay a bit more at a store I trust than shop around to find the cheapest deal in town. For example, I bought my SABDDI at The Gallery and, later that afternoon, saw one for about £10 cheaper in the middle of town. However, I didn't kick myself because:

a) my time is valuable and two or three hours of not trawling round the shops is easily worth £10 to me.

b) I trust the folks at The Gallery to be providing a fair price.

I get exceptional customer service from the Gallery. I'd rather pay a bit more and know that they're likely to stay in business than get the best short term deal for me. It would be different if we were talking a £50 or £60 quid discrepancy on something like a SABDDI box but if that were the case, I probably wouldn't trust them so much in the first place.

Wulf

20. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I do the barter system for gear at my local music store. I am a carpenter so I do work for the owner of the store. I have worked on his house, rental property, and made a studio in the store.

Having said that I still have to B.S. a deal out of him. It's like a game to him, we start with him real high and me real low and meet in the middle. The price is always %5 lower than Musician's Friend.

I have got for the work I've done two Alverse (sp) acoustic six string guitars, a G&L L-2500 Tribute, two JBL 2x15 bass bins, lots of strings and cords the list is very long.