1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Negotiations worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Talkpaw, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Yes

37.8%
  2. No

40.5%
  3. Save for an American Standard

21.6%
  1. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So it's been roughly a week and a half and this process started with negotiations between three Fender Precision bass owners. Anyways to make a long story short I finally decided it has come down to one particular base because I was able to go in on a price down to $290. My question to you all is that you do you believe I coming out on top in the deal.

It's a P-bass, made in mexico, 2003-2004 models. It has two paint chips the owner states bottom chip from sometime on the road, chip in middle- mic stand knocked into it during recording. Thoughts comments concerns? Much appreciated.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    On Top? IDK. Have you played it? Could be the mother of all dookies.

Is $300-350 the going rate for MIM? Yep.

So are you asking if you have beat this guy down far enough, or if you should continue tightening the screws?

pudgychef and Talkpaw like this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's an average price. You could do better but not my much. There's a million Mexican Fender Ps out there.

Tanner5382 likes this.
  4. dju

dju

Jan 15, 2014
    Texas
    unless it totally speaks to you keep looking.
    you can get one for maybe a little more without the chipped paint.

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    The Badass bridge on it alone is worth about $75 or so.

Bodeanly likes this.
  6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    It's decent price. Personally unless it played like butter I wouldn't pay more than $200 for a P that was damaged like that. As someone else said, it's not like P's are rare.

7. I appreciate the feedback. I've scoured GC, reverb, and craigslist (in my area) no Ps under $300. Does anyone have a resource?

8. Sick that you spotted the Badass bridge!

Susqmike likes this.
  9. Will go tonight to play it. I'm asking both questions

10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    It also needs an intonation adjustment in the worst way. No way those saddles are correct.

Also you'll probably need flats and a tort guard for sure. Plan ahead for buying those. It's a good talking point in your negotiating.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Camaro likes this.
  11. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    The way the belly cut is painted black like that makes me think it might be a plywood body, (they usually do that to cover the plys) which means it may be a cheap body with a MIM Fender neck.

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    In pic #2 we see the wood under the paint blow out. Doesn't look ply to me.

@Nev375, thanks for the morning giggle

Nev375 likes this.
  13. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Ok, yeah, I didn't notice that chip on the edge (I'm on my cell phone). I don't see any laminations either.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If cost is your criteria then you didn't come out on top. IMHO, feel, sound and looks are much more important than saving a few dollars.

bolophonic, Binary1 and Bodeanly like this.
  15. The other basses we similar (MIM) with slight differences. Like year. One had a mint pickguard and another the only difference was EMG pups at 375$. I'm assuming if all things equally I'm winning out saving a few bucks. Just being economically. Believe me I know about tone and feel which is why a posses a Squier V string modified deluxe. It beat out a ton of other basses. Just looking to finally add The P thump to my repertoire. I'm not sure I can justify purchasing an Am STD yet.

16. osonu

osonu

Aug 5, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Hey, if you like the feel and tone at least the chips aren't where you have to see them. I paid $300 for a like new '08 with a hard case to give you some perspective on the price, but I wouldn't expect much below $250 if it plays well. Check for dead spots!

I put a set of LaBella Deep Talkin flats and a tort guard on mine (it's solid black) and it sounds amazing - which is really a drag because it's 9 1/2 pounds and I want something lighter, but can't find anything that sounds as good. I know, first world problem, and yes I'm going to the gym so as not wuss out about it.

17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Plenty of MIMs out there. And IMO the Badass bridge is admired out of all proportion to what it brings to the party. I used to put a BA-II on every Fender I ever owned until I realized it didn't anywhere near justify the additional expense. (YMMV on that.)

I'd probably keep looking unless (as others have said) it plays like a dream and speaks to you when you play it. Because there's always the chance it's one of those very "special" Fenders you find from time to time. If it turns out it is one of those, just buy it and take it home. When you find a really good Fender, you do whatever you reasonably need to do to make it your own.

Luck! :thumbsup:

Camaro and Talkpaw like this.
  18. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    If you dig it, buy it.
    If you don't dig it, don't.
    Under 300 is a killer price here in CO

19. I suspect those chips will get worse over time. That thick poly will just start coming off. There's a guy here to took the poly off a Squire Mikey Way bass and he said once he got going, the stuff just came right off, in big chunks.

20. put a tort pickguard on it and you cud sell it for 390 on here...........kinda

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021