Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neighbor problems. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I live in (own) a Coop. The rules here are that you're supposed to have carpeting because hardwood floors make a hell of a lot of noise and can be really annoying to the people beneath you. The people above me don't have any carpets. They don't speak english. They're up at 4AM every morning. The owner of the Coop above (who doesn't live here) is the head of the Coop board. If someone breaks Coop rules they're supposed to be fined $350.

I called building management 2 times in the past 5 months and he told me he sent them a letter, then called, and something would be done. I don't believe he did anything. I need to call again.

What recourse do I have? I sleep with earplugs every night and the noise is starting to wake me up even through the plugs. Anyone know any legal action I can take, any way of getting this done once and for all?

I'm not going to go breaking down any doors or beating anyone up cause for one they're elderly people upstairs, and 2, it ain't my style.

Help.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tight spot. Is the Coop head the building Super, or owner? If not, I'd go above him. If you've always had your rent in, and no complaints against you (other than, say, fashion based ones), they might be inclined to listen. Or at least listen that your Coop head did nothing.

Failing that, maybe you should consider a change in styles? I hear lead pipes are in this year.

3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    that's funny. yesterday at a gig in a french restaurant I do on wednesdays this little girl was pointing at my bass bag (or so I thought) as we entered, trying to get her mother's attention. her mother looked up at me and said to her, in the talking to a kid voice, "Yes honey. funny hair. they're musicians."

As fer the head of the Coop, the owner of the apt. above is head of the board. I already went over her head by talking to the building manager, AND the super. I don't believe the super really has any power here and I don't want to bust his chops cause he's a nice guy and we get along well - he's come to my aid many times in a pinch. It's rough because I plan on staying here a while - and I don't want to turn a bad situation into something worse.

I'm wondering what I should say or do when I call building management again. Can I take or threaten any kind of legal action? I get the feeling he yesses me to death, hangs up the phone and then laughs for some reason.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe this is better advice than mine.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hmm, have you thought of calling the police for noise complaints? There are noise laws, and police will come out. If they come out a number of times, you can actually sue the people responsible. This happend to a friend of mine cause his dog was barking. They kept calling the cops, and eventually sent him a summons for court, and he has to appear to defend himself (and his dog).

Maybe not the friendliest thing, but neither is them not respecting the life of their neighbors.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Because the police don't have anything better to do than come out because someone is walking on the apartment floor above. I'm not saying its not a valid complaint that Joe has, but call the police? Please.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    They should abolish the laws if they arent going to enforce them then :)

That's their job, plain and simple. And sure there are likely more pressing issues around, and you will likely be the last call they go on if there are, but it doesnt change any of the facts hehe. And I only meant as a last recourse, certainly going through proper channels of the management is the first step, but if they arent helping him, is he just supposed to live with it?

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

agreed , call management at the time of the disturbance .

let them get a feel of what you are going through ...

or else , you could just show up at their door naked and screaming !!

i've gone to my neighbors apartment at 3am. in my underware ,
    banging on their door , to stop a loud party .

needless to say , that was pretty shocking , but it did the trick ...

9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Question, Joe - do you know these people *at all*? Wave or smile when you see them?

Because from what you've posted, it sounds like they may not even be aware of the problem - they make noise, you call the building manager, he blows it off, et al.....

Are they rude, disrespectful, etc.? Is there any chance that, instead of calling building supers, management, *police*, etc., you could somehow ask them (in a kill-more-bees-with-honey style) if they could grab some fuzzy slippers at the local Wal-Mart?

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Which law are you referring to? The one that says you can't walk in your apartment without carpet? There ARE noise laws, but I would think they apply more to situations such as loud stereos, etc.

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    http://www.nonoise.org/lawlib/cities/newyork.htm#sub2

thats all of New York's noise laws. Here are some finer points that pertain:

(1) The use and activities permitted by the zoning regulations in such zones;
    (2) The intensity of sound levels produced by activities and devices in such zones;
    (3) The time at which such sound levels occur;
    (4) The duration of such sound levels;
    (5) The proximity of such activities and devices to buildings and to dwellings;
    (6) Whether the sound levels produced by such devices and activities are recurrent, intermittent, constant; and
    (7) The density of habitation of such zones

All of the bolded sections seem to apply. And not trying to be argumenative here, even if the law doesnt apply to the situation, the police will still come out and investigate, and probably warn the neighbors about a complaint, which may be all it takes. He mentioned they dont speak English, the police will get someone that can speak their language likely, and can explain to them the issue if nothing else. It also has the effect of leaving Joe his animinity should he choose.

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    This would seem to be the most logical advice. I don't know the people however, and only THINK I've seen them. True, they may NOT know there's even a problem. My super tells me they're an older couple and that they don't speak any english. I'm not too keen on banging on their door, possibly scaring them, and then not being able to communicate my problem anyhow. I guess I could find out what language they speak, write a letter, and then get someone to translate and slip it under their door. DOH! Thanks... that only occured to me while responding to this.

As for the police, the disturbances are in the form of footsteps, furniture being moved around (I believe they have a pullout bed), or a nickel falling out of someones pocket at 4 AM which sounds like it's going through a stack of Marhalls. Hardly something I'd complain to the cops about.

The building manager works in a 9-5 office.

I am going to start composing a letter, but I do want to call management again, and I'm still not sure exactly what to say this time around. I agree that I haven't annoyed them enough. That's not my personality but I think it's time I start growing in that direction.

13. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
  14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    my only goal, cool, hope its usefull to you.

15. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    :subliminals on:

I bet there's about a 99.9% chance that, if you write a (friendly) letter in (friendly) English, they know someone who can do the (friendly) translating for them.

:subliminals off:

16. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    If you have the money..

go buy them a rug or large piece of carpet and leave it by their door with a note in very simple english (or draw pictures, the universal language).

We got got laminate flooring for the upstairs and my mom want everyone to wear slippers to avoid footprints. She never downstairs so she doesnt know how the slapping sound of the slippers are ampified by the floors.

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, it is not a police issue if the coop rules are being
    broken, so that is a moot point.

Joe, for the short term, a polite note to the offending party
    is in order. Keep a copy for your records. Write again as
    needed. For the longer term then, as an owner, be sure you attend the coop meeting. This is where you stand up and
    bust cojones, citing the three letters and numerous
    complaints to the tenants, and super, putting the owner right
    on the hot seat over the issue. No need to be too nice to the
    coop head, as she is using it for income property and not
    living there. So she is responsible for making sure her tenants follow the rules.

And as coop board head, she is very likely to be there to
    take the brunt of your pent up wrath.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Why do you think this is so? If you have a "buddy" relationship with this guy, he may not be taking you seriously. You may need to go about your complaints in a more professional, and thorough manner.

Or...perhaps you could buy your neighbors upstairs a rug, and give it to them as a gift?

-Mike

19. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    The buddy is the super. The other guy is the building manager, and I think this because I'm paranoid. Why else.

Buying rugs is insane when one could be buying basses. That's simply not an option. I think I've actually gotten all I need out of this thread... but feel free to keep posting your thoughts and ideas.