Neighborhood Party in my backyard

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by One Way, May 31, 2021.

1. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    I hosted a potluck party Sunday 5/23/21 for my neighborhood, just for fun.
    The weather was HOT! 90 degrees and 50%+ humidity. I had my hands full preparing for the event cleaning the house, maintaining landscaping, and promoting the event through emails to the neighbors plus knocking on everyone’s door the day before to personally invite them.

Sunday morning prior to the start time folks started popping to set up their canopies, seating, tables, and coolers.
    F7E3A23A-B205-4F04-B7B3-C409C0C7694C.jpeg
    This photo was taken 3 hours prior to start, additional seating, tables, and coolers continued to arrive.

Our keyboard player had something come up and couldn’t make it creating the need for a quick revision of the set list and modifications to songs. I pulled out my 12 string acoustic guitar for several songs that benefited from the acoustic fill, compensating for the missing keyboards, and upped the Taylor’s bass tone control to add some bottom tone fill for the missing bass.

I received several cellphone videos thanks to one of the attendees, here’s one of them. Our vocalist stepped up and did a harp solo in place of the keyboard horns and keys for this song. Unfortunately we didn’t sound check the harp mic and his playing isn’t as prominent as it should be. But hey, this was for fun right?

Everyone had a great time and so many asked about venues where they could come and see us play. The event went so well my neighbors asked for an encore performance of the event and we scheduled it for the 3rd weekend in October. Hope it’s cooler then, it’s work to be both the host and entertainment for an event LOL!

F7E3A23A-B205-4F04-B7B3-C409C0C7694C.jpeg

donkeygrl, dbase, McG and 67 others like this.
  2. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    Love outdoor private parties like that! Thanks for sharing and glad it was enjoyed. It's been years since I played one, but they are always so much fun.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice idea --- i wish i was one of your neighbors! the band sounds good (time to dump the keys? :D ) and i've gotta believe the food/drink was on point, too. i think @Son of Wobble could learn from this! :laugh:

thanks for sharing the experience! :thumbsup:

4. Tim Skinner

Tim Skinner

Nov 6, 2018
    I usually do this every year on Canada Day (July 1st), with the obvious exception of last year. Always a great time. We are hoping as restrictions ease here in Ontario we can do this year, even if it's smaller than normal and a few weeks later.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Looks like fun. Looks like as good a reason as any to crack a cold beverage.

Spidey2112 and One Way like this.
  6. Benj-jammin

Benj-jammin Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2020
    North Carolina
    That's what it's all about, One way - nothing like jamming in your own backyard......and that's a darn nice backyard there!

RocknRay, Bunk McNulty and One Way like this.
  7. LeFunk Machine

LeFunk Machine Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2014
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    What a beautiful sire; It sounds amazing too.

One Way likes this.
  8. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Cool! And that your backyard shows are becoming a thing is even cooler. I love a good potluck party with live music.

Some of my favorite gigs I've played were in backyards and basements. And I think with so many venues having closed down, the "backyard 'n basement" show circuits will make a comeback.

And +1 that your backyard looks sa-WEET!

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    RocknRay and One Way like this.
  9. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    The yard goes past the short wood fence all the way to the power tower, I can almost hold my own Woodstock back there!

Neighbors were very gracious with the drinks and food they brought. Folks got to actually meet and speak with those who they typically wave to as they drive past.

A first generation V7 I bought new in 2016. Thanks, it’s a keeper

RocknRay, MAXSPINRUN and Bunk McNulty like this.
  10. Bleecker

Bleecker Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Looks like fun. I have thrown some big parties and played them, yes its a lot of work.

Cheers!

RocknRay and One Way like this.
  11. Hey, Dunwoody! My ol' stompin' grounds!

Killing Floor and One Way like this.
  12. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Convenient to to just about everything in Atlanta and a 1/2 acre lot, too! The previous mayor of Dunwoody even stopped by for the event

JRA and Jason Stock like this.
  13. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    That's awesome, I played an outdoor gig years ago where the future chief of police showed up....but that's another story...

cableguy, RocknRay and One Way like this.
  14. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Wait, what? There’s a mayor in Dunwoody? Peachtree HS here! Wasn’t a mayor when I lived there. Bought my first nice guitar with grocery bagging money at that Kroger on Mt Vernon. Been a very long time since I’ve seen it but it was always a great area. Rock on, Dunwoody.

Kubicki Fan and One Way like this.
  15. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    Well done:bassist:

One Way likes this.
  16. bassman4jc

bassman4jc

May 12, 2009
    Sacramento ,Ca
    Awesome! Looks like a lot of fun. Cellphone videos usually sound like c#@! But this one is very well defined and sounds great. Thanks for sharing.

triode6L6a, JRA and One Way like this.
  17. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Looks like you could have the drummer climb up that erector set thingy in the back yard and get some free electro-zappy power.

Jason Stock and One Way like this.
  18. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    That Kroger is about 2 miles from my house and where I shop for groceries. Small world!

Killing Floor likes this.
  19. Killing Floor

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Very small world. I left ATL in 97. But that area looks different but it’s still like home. That Brookeridge or Brookes farm? Subdivision was a ranch and we used to sneak into his pasture to fish in his pond.
    Take care!

One Way likes this.
  20. One Way

One Way

Mar 6, 2018
    Atlanta, GA
    Close to Brookes Farm, Kingsley Lake is at the end of my street

Killing Floor likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021