1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neighbors house burns to the ground

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BaldBass, Dec 8, 2006.

1. My neighbors had a fire at their house yesterday. Unfortunetly they lost everything they owned. On the plus side they weren't home so all are safe. The purpose of this post is to inquire if any of you have any additional insurance to cover your gear. While I was watching the house burn, it occured to me that I have something in the vicinity of $10,000worth of equipment in my house. I know several of you have far in excess of that. I haven't checked with my insurance agent but I doubt they would pay off on this. I know some companies offer additional policies for such items as guns, or collectibles. Does anyone have, or know of any companies offering similar coverage for musical instruments? If this is posted in the wrong forum please feel free to move it Thanks

2. I recently asked my insurance company as we were discussing a few things since we just renovated etc., and my gear is all considered "contents" so it would be covered. The only issue is whether you have enough $ value of contents covered in your policy.

You'd be surprised how fast it gets eaten up - we had a house fire about 6 years ago in a place we were renting and had renters insurance thankfully (and this was before GAS was hitting me really bad!) so the only thing we lost that couldn't be replaced were mostly import/out of print CD's etc. However, we had over $7000 of cleaning fees (including cleaning the house after the fire dept., hosed it dry cleaning absolutely everything etc.) and that took a big chunk out of the coverage. The worst part was the smoke damage even though the fire was small and contained to one room - everything was totally stinky from clothes to drapes to mattress'.

I'm sure each company, broker and policy is different though, so if I were you I'd check with my insurance company.

3. Thanks for the input, Bass. I'll give my agent a call and see how much coverage I have.

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

(if it is affordable0 to have replacement insurance. it covers current replacemnt cost .
    Document, Document, document.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.