Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neil Finn

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Nov 1, 2004.

1. righto, after getting back into some crowded house these last few days...and watching the farewell concert.....i have cometo beleive that mr.finn is probably one of the best musicians/song writers to come out of australia/nz.....

2. Don't forget the Split Enz work. Neil is a brilliant musician and song writer and deserves far more credit than he receives, IMHO.

leigh

3. for sure.....that finn album he put out with his brother was awesome too.....ive been listening to woodface all day....

my parents had the pleasure of meeting paul hester late last year when they won a comp of music max (foxtel music channel) to see paul kelly..and he's a really nice guy..extremely funny too

paul hester is a really great drummer as well

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I find myself listening to the other album cuts instead of their more popular songs.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    screw that,

he's one of modern masters of our time. :cool:

get his "7 Worlds Collide" DVD. gives me chills just thinking about it.

6. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    ur absolutely right heath. could have gone to one of their concerts ages ago but i didn't know what i know now and that is that crowded house was just a fantastic band.

world where u live with guest eddie vedder was just amazing.

7. "Not The Girl You Think You Are" is my theme song.

I swear it was written about me.

8. ssuuuuurrrrree steph

i have some good memorys from my childhood :)D) with "weather with you" "4 seasons in one day" "chocolate cake" and "there goes god"...many happy memorys....

how touching is it at the farewell concert that neil starts to cry during dont dream its over :crying: gets me all emotional :D

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've always been in awe of what the brothers Finn have done musically. I've been a fan of Crowded House and Split Enz for probably 20 years.

Finn trivia time:
    Question 1. Fill in the blank: "Don't wanna go where there's no _________"

Question 2. What's it from?

Question 3. Which brother, Neil or Tim?

10. Bob, I'll pass as I'm not entirel learned on all tings Finn :smug:

BUT, the 7 Worlds DVD is tremendously great. I have yet to own it, and have only witnessed about 50 minutes of it, but was completely blown away.

Mon

11. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Great to see a thread about Neil Finn. Crowded House was a GREAT band. I have the Farewell concert on cd and I have listened to that show over and over and over . . .

Heath--can you look at the farewell concert and tell me about the guitar players' rigs. Gretch? Rickenbackers? Vox amps? P bass? Those guys have killer sound during that show.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Saturday night in San Francisco I saw a band called the Monolith that did a very good cover of I Got You.

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hey, I was at that concert. The boys were in fine form that night. now that I think about it, that was also the first time I saw a young up and comming band that goes by the name of Powderfinger. Back then they only had one hit (D,A,F) and they blew everyone away.

One of the bands I play with use Crowded House albums as a soundcheck song for their PA system. It's usially a song or two before they switch to music from a more modern era, but it's amazing how many people ask us to put Crowded House back on. Timeless tunes!

14. well neil changes guitars almost every song :D ...but ill try and get some general info..ill have to watch the video tonight but from memory Nick uses a red either a fender telecaster or 51 precision most of the time, a hartke and a ampeg 810 side by side and a ampeg head for the ampeg and i dunno what head on the hartke just yet

neil seems to use maton and gibson acoustics and gibson and gretsch electrics...and vox amp's

im jelous pete (even though i was only 10 when that concert was on)...id love to work with neil, i think it'd be pretty damn amazing...good ta see ya back on here pete :D

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks heath. Been flat out. Moved house and had trouble getting Optus to come and install my cable internet. I finally sorted that out hen all hell broke loose with gigs. I've been doing 5 and 6 a week lately which leaves no time for mucking around on the internet. It's settling down to 3 or 4 a week now so you might see me around a little bit until the end of Nov when I head off to Bali for some well deserved R & R....... it's all happening but it's all good :)

16. throw some gigs my way pete :D i need some money :D

damn you, you got to see crowded house, and you got cable 'net....i got damn dial up still :( ....but my new bands going well pete :D...tony's (drummer) recording studio is almost fully finished, we might be doing a "showcase" gig at the end of this month at the beaches hotel, only a 45min set type of thing :rollno: ...

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    RIP, Paul Hester.

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I am absolutely stunned by this news. He just didn't at all seem like a candidate for depression.

19. Tosya

Tosya

Oct 11, 2002
    MOUSA
    I listen to the Finns in one form or another almost every day. Got to see the brothers a couple times last month and at a meet 'n' greet where I slipped them our DVD! :)

Really devastated to hear about Paul today. I just can't believe it.