Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neil Jason

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by VJP, Jan 26, 2003.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Anybody remember this guy. I used to love his playing. He was big on the NY studio/fusion scene in the 70's and early 80's. Haven't heard much from him lately, though.

I was really wondering if anyone could recommend some current (or old) stuff he's played on. I've got the Brecker Bros stuff (Heavy Metal Bepop, Detente). Anything else?????

Thanks

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...he does have that classic Fender Jazz tone happenin'.
    Bass Player did an article on him not too, too long ago...IIRC, Jason is still doing studio-type stuff(production, writing).

Bob James' Lucky Seven is one album I recall playing back in the day...Jason even sings lead on that album.

3. He's the bass player on Gene Simmons' solo album (1978). Gene played guitar on the album.

It's actually quite a good album on the whole. There are some really great songs - stuff that wouldn't have been appropriate for KISS, but really good. Some of the tunes have a bit of a Beatles flavour.

Anyway, the bass playing on the record is great.

4. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    I thought Jason also played on Cindy Laupers debut album (with the hit "girls just wanna have fun").
    He played on lots of albums, but he was big in the jingle scene. He had/has his own company.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Whoa, a Neil Jason thread. Cool.

He, along with Gary King played on the Bob James/ Earl Klugh record.

He also played on Roxy Music's Flesh and Blood.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw Neil Jason with the Brecker Brothers....he was awesome.....great Jazz bass tone and use of effects......you can hear his use of chorus on The ' Girls Just Whant To Have Fun album! I loved his playing.....even on those light Bob James records;)
    Like Will Lee, Neil is also a great singer.

7. Reviving a thread from 4 years ago. Wow. Just saw a sample of his playing on youtube. He's pretty spectacular.

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    LOL, when I first got youtube, one of the first names I put in the search was Neil's.:bassist:

9. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Oh man, my Neil Jason thread revived. Too cool.

Great clip. Neil was a badass IMHO. And not enough good recorded stuff from him.

Kinda sad to see Michael Brecker in that clip, though, and know he's gone.

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Some of Neil's most famed work is on the hit title track for "Fame" - the movie or TV show..I forget. He did "Milk and Honey" by John Lennon, too.

Love it or hate it, he wrote and produced a lot of the music for "Pokemon". Neil has also been one of the very few subs for Will Lee on Letterman.

11. He's really grooving in that clip. He's just fun to watch, a total body player. I can't believe so little mention of him on talkbass.

12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Great player.
    Use to sub sometimes, for Will Lee, on Letterman.
    Sweet 1963 C.A.R. Jazz bass.

13. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I first heard Neil Jason on Gene Simmons 1978 solo album and he rocked my world! :hyper:

Such a melodic, tasteful, grooving player! :cool:

Check out in particular his funky playing on the second track "Burnin' Up With Fever".... just as the track fades - turn it up and hear him go!! :bassist:

14. spence79

spence79

Jan 28, 2008
    Neil Jason is one of my fav player of all time.
    Even though he is not well known he's awesome.
    He even played with Hall & Oates on a couple of their albums: X-Static and Voices (along with Jay Graydon & John Siegler)
    He also sung a tune on a Bob James album "Look Alike" The tune was called "Friends" and Neil was the lead singer.

15. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow, a real blast from the past. Neil was one of THE goto guys in the day. What happened to him?

16. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I ran into him a number of years ago on the beach in CT. He runs a successful jingle/production house in NYC with very big clients in the advertising and television world.

He didn't mention playing live that much anymore, but he still plays bass on the material he writes and produces.

17. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    If it's the tune that Irene Cara sang, that's some awesome bass playing. I always wondered who the muthafuhka tearing up that tune was.

Was it Neil Jason who's credited on Bill Bruford's Feels Good To Me album as "a bass player when I needed one" or am I thinking of someone else?

18. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Nope, that was Neil MURRAY, who later went on to play with Whitesnake.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob

Feb 18, 2008
    I'm making a cover of 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun'. Would anybody know what type of bass, amp, and effects are used on the bass part? I'm a bass newbie!

20. sotjian

sotjian

Nov 18, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Cool. Gene's solo album was my first ever record and it's a gem. I'm listening to Heavy Metal Be-Bop right now and was wondering who played bass on it. Well Neil Jason just made it into my top 10 favorite bassists.