Neil Stubenhaus

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by XavierG, Feb 13, 2003.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    He's been around since the early 80's at least. He's played on hundreds (maybe thousands?) of top 40 hits and is on many national commercial jingles. He's (if hes still there) kind of the west coast version of Will Lee.
  2. Yes, which is probably why I've never really paid much attention to him ('cause I'm not big on Top 40).
  3. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Top 40 is kind of a generic term for me. Probably not the best description.

I wish I had a list (of songs) in front of me because I remember being very surprized and impressed by his resume when I read it. Hes played on a LOT of well known songs.
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He played some real nice lines with George Benson too.......great groover!
  5. mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Neil is an incredible player! I highly recommend Karizma's "Document". It's a live disc with him in a great jazz/fusion setting with David Garfield, Michael Landau and Vinnie on drums. There's also a DVD with this band - it's the Modern Drummer Festival 2000.
    If you can find Michael Thompson's "The World According to M.T.", Neil plays on many of the songs, and it features one written by him - "Zoobie Dee"
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll second that Karizma disc...& the Baked Potato Karizma disc with Abe Laboriel "subbing" for Stubenhaus.
    Coliauta has a clue.
  7. Does anybody remember the Pat Sajak show (with Tom Scott as the house band leader)??

I always thought Neil Stubenhaus was the bass player in the house band. I also thought that band was among the best to ever be on a late night show :cool:.
  8. NickBass81

Jul 4, 2008
    Endorsing Bulkmusic Strings
    I like Neil Stubenhaus playing, he fits perfectly the songs and somewhere he'll lay down something special, a tasty fill, a slap or something else...he's one of the most demanded sessionmen in the USA...
  9. chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Doesnt he also run the musicians union?
  10. bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Neil is a killer player!!! His bass playing is all over the Chuck Norris movie Code of Silence. Great soundtrack!!!!

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:
  11. Does anyone know if it was Neil playing on the Pat Sajak show?

12. bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
  13. One of my favorites indeed...He plays callowhill if I'm mistaken, confirmation?

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

I thought he played a signature model Tyler. Loved his stuff with Gino Vannelli too....
  15. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    A great early, fusiony Neil date (circa '78) is on Randy Roos' disc "Mistral". Neil was still an East Coast, Berklee guy in those days.

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Were some Tyler's more of a Fender body shape like the one in the vid? Or is that a special model for him?
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    No, that was Tim Landers, also a great player and the namesake of Peavey's old TL bass series.
  18. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    I believe he was the bassist for the Tom Hanks movie "Doing That Thing You Do"