Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neil Young-Billy Talbot's Gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Virus, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    I've been listening to a lot of Neil Young & Crazyhorse lately and have fallen in love with the sound of the bass player. I'm highly interested in knowing what kind of setup he used on albums like Greendale, Ragged Glory and Mirror Ball..

If anybody knows it would make me extremely happy to know, I've searched around but have not been able to find it.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure he always used a Fender Precision... aside from that, can't help ya, good luck!

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Odds are that on the albums, he went straight into the board, though a DI and/or a preamp.

4. try to get the jim jarmoush(not sure about the spelling) movie "year of the horse". you can get some pretty good looks on his live rig. it looks like some fender amp with a 2x15 and a pre-power setup with two 4x10`s.
    but not sure that is what he uses on records.

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Fender Showman amp into Fender 15 cab (probably jbl speker) in the studio and two amps and cabs live. Always with an old P-bass. This according to Bassplayer mag. He also endorse EBS amps but he still use the Fenders.
    One of my favourite players and sounds.

6. Sparkie

Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    The SWR web site says Billy uses their amp. I'm a big Crazy Horse fan too. Billy is a minimalist. He doesn't play a lot of notes but what he plays are huge! (quoted by NY)

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I love his sound and style on Cowgirl in the Sand. Just beautiful.

8. django

django

Dec 20, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    i think he has a p-bass with a tele neck if i´m not mistaken, btw listen to the record sleeps with angels, one of the best records ever made!

9. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    Billy has changed the way I play, I used to try and play all these complicated lines but not I'm usually just driving the root or something like that.

Thanks for all the input guys.

10. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    I did a search on the Showman amp, I'm finding it as a guitar amp, not bass... Is this correct? These must be vintage and not made anymore so my chances of ever playing or getting one are pretty much zero..

11. vintage stuff yeah!
    but it shouldn´t be such a problem getting one. and yes it´s a guitaramp that sounds ok for bass just as the fender bassman sounds ok with guitars.

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The old Showman heads are tube heads and aren't light. If you are looking for that kind of tone there are a number of tube preamps (Alembic F1-X, for instance) based on the Showman head which, with a power amp, would send you in the right direction.

13. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Mirror Ball was almost all Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam. Try this:
    http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/gear/images/sfja1098.gif

From the sound of it, I bet that old Portaflex was used. That album (which is quite addictive for me, too) is just sopping with overdriven tubes.

14. KoalaBass

KoalaBass

Aug 12, 2011
    Was he using roundwounds or flatwounds??

15. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    I disagree. If you read Neil Young's biography, Shakey, he deplores muliti-tracking and prefers a live feel. While Billy may go direct, I am sure a lot of the sound comes from his amp/speaker and the room sound.

16. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    Oh... and never saw him with anything other than a Pbass....

17. Mirror Ball was done with Pearl Jam and it was therefore Jeff Ament playing bass on that one. He does get a heavy "Billy Talbot" sound though so I can see someone thinking it was Talbot.