Neil young or bob dylan?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jnevi9nr, Oct 13, 2011.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Inactive

Jan 20, 2011
    Early acoustic solo-Dylan (see: Live at the Gaslight)

2. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Earplugs

3. bob_dylan_bass.jpg

4. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    Joni Mitchell

5. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Bob Dylan. I like Neil Young, but as a lyricist, Dylan is much more satisfying. I mean seriously, who doesn't read the lyrics to "All Along the Watchtower" and not go "whoa, that's deep [email protected]^%"? :p

6. This ! I can't stand either of them. I just don't get the appeal... :confused:

7. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Love 'em both, and admire & respect them. I probably listen to a lot more Neil though.

Personally, I think from the mid/late 90s up, Dylan has been making his best music since back in the "Bring it All Back Home" & "Highway 61 Revisited" days.

Young has covered a wider territory musically (IMO) but his work has gone a little downhill in recent decades while Dylan seems to be on an upswing. Both are brilliant, but confoundingly inconsistent, artists.

8. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Dylan also wrote "your dancing child in the Chinese suit, he spoke to me. I took his flute". What the heck does that mean? :confused:

OTOH, Dylan wrote far more "epics" than Neil (e.g. Desolation Row, Tangled Up in Blue, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), etc). I love a good lyrical epic!

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Neil. I tried, but I just could never relate to ole Bob.

Rezdog

10. Neil, no doubt about it, although I could do with a week of Bob as well. But Neil Young has done so many different styles, from 'Old Man' to 'Hey, hey, my, my', and I love his eclectic style of soloing!

11. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    "You know you're getting old when...

...Neil Young's lyrics start to make sense to you."

It's Neil for me. My handle even has a double Neil reference.

12. MartinG1957

MartinG1957 You can never have too many bones....

Aug 5, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Neither from preference especially after going to see Dylan live last week for the first-and most definitley the last-time. Lots of people in the crowd were delirious, IMHO he was terrible-couldn't comment on the quality of his lyrics as he was, to me, incomprehensible for all but 1 song- worse gig I have ever been to. As I said, many thousands of others at the gig disagreed but that's my experience. So to answer the original question: Leonard Cohen. YMMV

13. Young, no contest.

14. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Live, now? Neil Young. Recorded works? Bob Dylan.

15. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    This one is a toughy for me. Let me say off the bat, I think they are both teriffic songwriters, but as performers, they both leave me kinda cold. Dylan's guitar playing is ok, but his harp work grates on my nerves, his singing leaves a lot to be desired. I find Neil Young's singing and guitar playing both to be very annoying. Quite frankly, I think his guitar work flat out sucks (IMO, of course)
    Neither one would be my choice, but if somone held a gun to my head and said I had to listen to nothing but one of these two, Dylan has a slight egde.

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Inactive

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Dylan. No contest.

I understand and appreciate that his gravelly, nasal style is difficult for some people to get. I didn't get it at first, but that was probably a deliberate ploy by my teenage self to dislike anything my old man listened to :)

However, decades later, I cannot imagine NOT having his stuff in my collection. Utterly peerless lyricist.

'Visions of Johanna? :goosebumps:

17. FreshTrooperXBL

FreshTrooperXBL

Jul 24, 2011
    Riverside
    Young. He captures my life so far pretty well. I cant stand either's later stuff tho, I just like the vintage vibes of the early

18. Neil. He played with Duck Dunn.

19. makkE

makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Neil Young for sure, can't stand Dylan's "singing".

20. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Agreed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021