Neil young or bob dylan?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jnevi9nr, Oct 13, 2011.

1. gnjpowell

gnjpowell Inactive

Nov 12, 2010
    Concord, NH
    Bass & guitar tech, FOH sound, backline rentals
    Neil. But LOVE 'em both.... 'Cause I can sing as bad or more worserer than the both of 'em! :)

I just love the way Neil switches between vocals, harp and git all in the same song.

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Dylan's first decade of albums will go down in history as some of the most powerful lyrics and well written songs ever.

I love Neil as well, but for me its Dylan.

3. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Neil Young - I named my son Neil after him, going to buy him a Black gibson les paul when he gets old enough. He currently plays a mexi strat and knows a few chords - he is 4

4. jnuts1

jnuts1

Nov 13, 2007
    Dylan blows Young out of the water lyrically & musically.

5. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Clearly you dig Bob, so good on you for that! But as to the lyric - it doesn't have to mean something. The point here is for some visual to be created in your mind from just words. It's not necessarily a particular visual, just whatever your mind sees when you hear the line. It's sort of a lyrical approach to what Pollack or Picasso did visually.

At that period in his life, Dylan was combining several approaches to the realm of art into his lyrics, particularly some apocalyptic vison of the absurd. To me, these sorts of lyrics work because they paint a picture that you'll never see otherwise, and you get to create it in your mind just from the lyrics.

Anyway, I like both Neil and Bob, but Dylan is a true legend - one of the cornerstones of all modern music.

6. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I love both of'em, but I couldn't take a constant week of listening to either. (IMO)Both Bob and Neil are masters of what they do, however both would get on My nerves after a week of listening.

7. TheDude007

TheDude007

May 18, 2010
    Kansas City
    Neil. The band I'm in now (originals) has actually gone in more of a Neil Young/Wilco sort of alt-country direction. To gain some inspiration I've been listening to a lot of Neil anyway. We like to keep a cover on hand to give audiences something familiar, and we're actually going to cover "Comes a Time." I didn't really know it up till we started covering it, but wow, great song!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021