1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nekcs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chi, Nov 2, 2001.

1. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this type of post. I've heard that frequently tuning your bass from Drop-D back to standard tuning can cause some damage to your neck because of string tension or something like that, I've only been playing bass for a few weeks and wasn't sure.

2. Nahh don't worry about it. Your not going to hurt you bass going down to D wait it's not a squire is it:eek: just kidding. welcome to talkbass.;)

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    no, you wont hurt your neck tuning down. the only thing that could possibly happen is you'll make your E string die quicker. That happens to me since I use Ernie Balls

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you have a cheap bass with a one-piece neck, I imagine the frequent torquing could cause a problem or two.

5. damn, then I guess my J bass is in for a bad time. :(

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Didn't intend to scare you, Chi. You have no profile info (for shame! It actually IS useful!) so I had to generalize. Fender MIM's (I assume yours) are a good build. It was referring more to the breeds like Rogue, low end Ibanez, Archer, and those beginner basses.

7. Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, mine is a MIM. I think I'll take your advice and write up a profile now. :)