Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nekcs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chi, Nov 2, 2001.

1. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum for this type of post. I've heard that frequently tuning your bass from Drop-D back to standard tuning can cause some damage to your neck because of string tension or something like that, I've only been playing bass for a few weeks and wasn't sure.

2. Nahh don't worry about it. Your not going to hurt you bass going down to D wait it's not a squire is it:eek: just kidding. welcome to talkbass.;)

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    no, you wont hurt your neck tuning down. the only thing that could possibly happen is you'll make your E string die quicker. That happens to me since I use Ernie Balls

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you have a cheap bass with a one-piece neck, I imagine the frequent torquing could cause a problem or two.

5. damn, then I guess my J bass is in for a bad time. :(

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Didn't intend to scare you, Chi. You have no profile info (for shame! It actually IS useful!) so I had to generalize. Fender MIM's (I assume yours) are a good build. It was referring more to the breeds like Rogue, low end Ibanez, Archer, and those beginner basses.

7. Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, mine is a MIM. I think I'll take your advice and write up a profile now. :)