Nelly's bassist on Saturday Night Live

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DigMe, Nov 17, 2002.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey. Did any of you happen to watch SNL this week? It was a typically terrible episode that I had on as I was surfing the net but I was listening and when Nelly came on his bassist was playing some incredibly tasty stuff on the first song. He sounded fine on the second song too but the bassline on that one was a little less interesting. Looked like he was playing a Spector but they barely showed him when I was looking at the screen so I may be wrong.

brad cook
  2. I thought it was a Warwick Streamer, ahh well.

Yeah, SNL was pretty sucky, except for the Religtables! WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA! Robert Smiegel(sp) could carry that show. I thought the first songs lines were pretty nice, but I didn't stay to see the next song.
  3. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah and for all of you gear snobs out there it looked like he was using a Peavey Firebass head and 410-TVX Cab.
  4. Yeah, I think it was a Warwick Streamer, but I didn't see the pickup config so I dunno if it was LX, Jazzman, Stage I, or Stage II. :p

But anyway, the TV in my room has really, REALLY bad speakers, which meant I couldn't hear any bass at all.
    Well...that, and my roommate had a bunch of friends over and we were having a really fun time rating people at :D:p
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah actually after I posted that I started thinking that it was a Warwick. I wrote Spector because it had that rounded upper horn that both Streamers and Spectors have but I agree that it was a Warwick. The horn was too fat to be a Spector.

I thought that might be a Peavey head...I didn't get a good look at it but I saw a flash of white background and black knobs.

brad cook
  6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    pass couple of times I seen Oteil, he was using peavey amplification. And it sounded good as hell!!!

Saw the warwick logo on the bass, and yeah, I was thinking the rhythm section for Nelly was groovin hard. Yet, I had no idea why there was 5 people up front with mics. Did dig what nelly was doin. He seems to have a problem shaving of something (what is up with the constant band-aid?)
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, Peavey seems to be something right over the past few years.

As far as the 5 peeps on the mics...that was the second song... The really nice bass playing I was referring to was on the first song w/ only Nelly and that chick singing. The playing on the second one wasn't bad though...just not as tasty as the first.

brad cook
  8. I was impressed that him and the chick from Destany's Child were actually singing to a full band and not lip syncin' to a track. They even did some improvin' on their "hit song". Don't see that much in hip hop anymore. Last time Eminem was on SNL he rapped over a track that already had his lead vocal on it. When he dropped out live, the track filled in the his voice.
  9. The band-aid on Nelly's face is supposedly a thing of solidarity with some friend of his who's doing time, but there is speculation that it's covering a precancerous growth, or the scar from the removal thereof.
  10. Last time I saw Stu Hamm(Monday) he was using Peavey too.

Might have been because it was a Peavey clinic, but that's a no-brainer.

Pro series rules! The BAM was nice too.

But far from hijacking this thread and turning it Peavey, here's my comment: Nelly Sucks. His bassist doesn't.

11. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yeha I have seen Nelly on Letterman before. He has some good licks. I was pretty impressed, that is definantly not on the album :rolleyes: .