Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nemesis 210 Combo Dead!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dprives, Aug 1, 2002.

1. dprives

dprives

Apr 22, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Howdy. Last weekend at practice my Nemesis 210 Combo died. The fuse blew. Put in a new fuse tonight, got a loud hum for about 2 seconds and then dead again:eek:

This thing normally runs !really! hot. I was only playing at about half volume, no external cab. I was using the parametric Eq cranked at about 300Hz, which I don't usually do.

Anyone have anything like this happen with this combo before? Anyone know a good place in the SF Bay Area to take it?

:confused:

Thanks,
    Dave

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hmm. i've never had the fuse blow on my nemesis.. it does run pretty hot though... did you put the right fuse in there??

3. dprives

dprives

Apr 22, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I think so. 3.1A, 250V Slow Blow. This really stinks. I was thinking about upgrading but this is not how I wanted to get there.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well. I like my nemesis.. but I recently upgraded... and I don't regret that I did

5. Hello Dave, and all others!

The reason I bumped this very old thread is because I have the exact same thing now. Mine is a Nemesis NC410P, so a bit bigger and the new square model, but similar story. It happened after a low leveled rehearsal. First a very big -CLACK- came out of the combo when turning it off. Turned it back on again 10 secs later to test if died on me, and I guess it did. MASSIVE hum for like 1 or 2 seconds, then no D.C. light, still little switch light (indicating fuse gone). Replaced fuse with the same type when I got home half an hour later. Same thing, big hum (waking up the sleeping neighbours for sure) :bag:, new fuse gone again.

I am an electronic engineer, so it is very likely a screwdriver and some measuring equipment is going to touch the combo this weekend. But I was hoping one or more of you people had this as well and could perhaps give me some advice
    I always treated the amp very well, no extreme high levels. Loved(d!) the sound, great in combination with my 5 stringed Warwick Streamer Stage I! :bassist:
    Have to admit, I feel a bit :bawl: now.

It is 2.5 years old now, so I presume out of warranty.
    Thanks,
    Bas (no kidding, that's my name)

6. There's an Eden board on their site, and the guys who work there (Lance?) monitors it all the time and answers questions. They know their stuff. You might want to register over there and ask.

I've had 2 Eden Nemesis combos (still have) that are 10+ years old, and the only thing I ever had to do was replace the power caps in one of them.

7. Thanks ashtray! That was quick b.t.w. :)
    Will have a look at that site.
    I wonder if they were non-chinese then. And lighter to carry. When I bought mine the older round edged model was not available any more. I just think this one is a bit chunkier than yours and probably heavier. Well, have to stop nagging now, and get to work on it.

8. Yeah - mine is made in USA, with a hand written serial number. For a 4x10 combo, it's pretty light. I can easily lift it in/out of the car no problem. My 2x10 combo is even lighter (no, really?! hahaha) and I can carry that with one hand by the top handle. That really is one of the amp's best qualities in my mind - and I like the parametric mid control.

9. In addition, the compressor that is build in is also pretty neat, considering the "simple" electronic circuitry the compressor is designed from. The only downside (when it works at all :crying:) is the mechanical humming of the transformer in mine. Just rubbish (sorry china, do not take it personal), it should not hum if made properly. I tried putting some lacker on the edges of the plates, but no improvement. Then added some rubber suspension which gave a slight improvement. The best is to completely change the transformer for a proper one, but the space is to limited to do that. Maybe Eden has better Made in USA transformers for a replacement.

Why I am telling this... :eyebrow: aah, go it - that was the first time I opened the amp, 1 year or so ago. Well operation no. 2 is upcoming next. For me not very challenging/difficult, mended tons of gear in my lifetime. This is one of the few cases where it is your own.

To finish with something positive, I received loads of complements from other musicians with this combo about the sound. Which is very open and transparent. If you do not want massive coloring, you get a nice clean bass. But the EQ is versatile enough to get the punch you want. A pity it does not have a switch for the parametric mid, but speaking about it and it's out of warranty anyway, what the heck, let's make a new jack input for a ext. switch on it when opening again! :D