Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nemesis 212 troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fish man, Mar 19, 2006.

1. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey all. Late '05 I got a new Eden NC212 combo, 320 W though two 12s and a horn. It was sold as new, but it was a floor model (meaning I got a deal on it) (also meaning someone may have monkeyed with it).
    I did most of my jamming with a guitarist and sometimes keys and never had it turned up real loud (I never practiced with the volume turned above 2), but recently I've been jamming with a drummer, and i turn it up to just above 3 to keep above the mix, and when i hit a staccato note with it turned up (never higher than 4 though) I get the farting effect and the speakers move quite a bit of air. I will mention that the jam space is in an 80 year old house, and I've never tried pushing it hard in something a bit more stable.
    Am I just pushing it too hard, or is there something wrong with the unit? I wouldn't have expected the speakers to be struggling until at least turned up to 7 or 8. I keep the gain at a reasonable level, and the only EQ thing i have going on is a bit of enhance when i'm doing blues or slow stuff and a bit of a bass boost. There is a distinct difference between normal playing and the distortion mess, both in terms of sound and in terms of the speaker movement. I'm sure someone here can help me out, and I'm a bit worried, because the warranty might not stand since it was not new, and I can't afford anything expensive, since the amp isn't even payed off yet. :( :help:

thx

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Nemesi (is that a word? Plural of Nemesis?) are particular about how they're set. Plug in, volume and gain at 0, increase your gain while playing loud notes (the way you'd hit them if sound were being produced) until the clip light comes on. On a passive bass, I'd expect this around 2 o'clock. Now back it down just a wee bit until only the very strongest notes make it flicker. That part done, run your EQ at 12 o'clock (flat) and slowly increase your volume until you get to a level that is loud enough. Please don't muck about turning the bass up to 11, mids 0, and treble 8...it just wastes your power and you won't get a good sound! I get the best sound by bumping the bass up to maybe 6 (on a scale of 1-10) mids at 6, treble at 5. Also, watch your clip light like a hawk- if it goes off, you're probably using too much bass. That's my $.02 worth, hope it helps.

3. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    mmmm. I'm assuming the clip light is the one next to the gain knob (if you're familiar with the config)...? The manuals talk about a gain light and a clip light and I assumed that this particular model didn't use a clip light. It says that the "gain light" goes off at the amp's 'sweet spot', and I have it set under 1 o' clock with a passive Prescision, so I don't think that's a problem, but i will tinker a bit later tonight.

thanks
    (for now)

PS my EQ has the bass at 6 and the mid and treble at 5, so thats likely irrelevant

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Ooops...I meant gain light. It comes on at the "sweet spot" and there should be another LED on the other side, by the Master Volume. I had a Nemesis 210 years ago, it was a great little amp, but I needed more volume at the time. If you aren't getting decent volume after setting up like I described, get it to an amp tech. My amp blew a capacitor once, and when I first got it, the right speaker was frozen. Once I got the speaker issue sorted out, I had an amp tech diagnose it over the phone (really!) and he had the necessary part in stock, and an opening right after lunch. Took him about 5 minutes to fix it, and only charged me $20.