Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nemesis 212vs ampeg ba210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jamesonellis, Dec 3, 2004.

1. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    what are your opinions on the ampeg 210 combo over the nemesis 212 combo,particularly with regards to tone,i am looking to upgrade my tko 65,and like the xtra wattage and lower weight of the nemesis,but no one nearby has one so i haven't actually heard the difference.thanx

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Never owned either one of them. I have, however, fooled around with a Nemesis 4X10 combo amp at the store and liked it a lot. If I were going to buy a combo, I would certainly consider the Nemesis and I'm a tube-sound kinda guy. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. Coming from an Aguilar owner I think that's saying a lot.

Unless I'm mistaken, the newer ones are 320 watts and, comparitively speaking, they're pretty light in weight.

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have a Nemesis 210 and it has never let me down. It has a distinctive tube like sound when you push the pre-amp. I can get a Geddy Lee tone with my bridge pickup, into a Sadowsky preamp to boost the bass, into the Nemesis. In fact I preferred that set up over using a SABDDI, which lead me to sell the SABDDI. They're great on a number of fronts: size, weight, tone, features, price.

4. jamesonellis

jamesonellis

Nov 12, 2004
    sounds promising,can anyone describe the ampeg tone?

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I am a former Nemesis NC210-P owner.

I thought I wanted the NC212-P amp, but when I auditioned them at the store, I preferred the punch of the 10" over the round warmth of the 12".

It's all about personal taste. I would expect the NC212-P to move more air.

If I had had the money, I would probably have gotten an NC410-P or a second-hand SWR Redhead (still probably the better option).

The tone and EQ capabilities are good for the money.

I eventually started having technical problems with the amp (intermittent, staticy sound with reduced output). I ended up selling it.

From what I've heard, their quality was a bit spotty back then (1998 or 1999). I don't know if it's better now or not.

Ampeg's seem to have a good reputation for reliability. I haven't tried the model you mentioned.

Personally, I would look at the previously-owned market for an SWR, Eden, Ashdown (or something along those lines) combo or head+cab or save a little bit more money and get a Sansamp RBI (can be found used as well) or BBE BMax plus a second-hand QSC RMX power amp rig system plus the second-hand speakers of your choice (maybe Aguilar GS210 or BE D12-D).

Good luck.

6. HAHAHAH!!! YOU AND ME BOTH!! I'm taking a look into yorkville stuff tho

7. upgrade the tko 65? Well, there is a tko 75, or even a tnt 150.

Seriously, the nemises combos kick butt. Awesome tone and they move a lot of air. they look cool too.

ampegs are voiced good but if you heard even the nemises 210 next to the ampeg, you would see that this is a no brainer.