Nemesis 410 combo loud enough???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johannes, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Hi folks!
    I'm planning to buy a new amp, and after a long search on the web I'm ready to order a Nemesis NC-410P combo. The problem is, that I haven't had the chance to try it yet, so I'd have to order it sight unseen. I've searched for all Nemesis-related threads on the forum, but none of them could answer my querstion right:
    Is this thing loud enough / enough power???
    I play 5-string, like to play loud, but without cranking the bass or striking the strings to death in a metal setting. But I just want headroom for serious slapping and a powerful sound in competition with a 4x12 Marshal. I know that everybody has got his individual tast, but let's try!

Thanks in advance
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Nemesis 210. Same amp only with 2 speakers. It is loud, but even with the surface area of the two additional speakers, I can't imagine it being loud enough for the application you described.

3. I have an NC-410P. Although they are fairly loud, you're gonna need about 400 watts to keep up with that 4x12 Marshall - and even that's not gonna leave you a whole pile of headroom.

4. Hm, that's strange. I know that rule of thumb (400 Watts for "flattening the Marshall") but I've played with several settings with the described Stack and our drummer, who is like a "medium-loud" drummer. For about one year I used a Warwick Wamp 280 2x10" combo, no idea what wattage or impedance it had, and it was not too calm, but didn't cut very well, just like my Ibanez Ergodyne!
    Now I play a 150 Watts Laney head through some old Peavey 1x15" cab and it's loud enough, but headroom is missing and it doesn't cut through. I normally play it at 6 with the gain set properly, while my guitarist is driving his head (Laney 120W, hybrid) at about 5.
  5. BTW: Thank you allan, that you heard my calling, out of the dark! ;)

6. I think I have the answer now.

You mentioned your g*itarist is using a non-Marshall head. Laney makes tube and transistor amps so I'm assuming his amp is a transistor amp.

Huge tube amps (Marshall, Sunn, Acoustic and so on) are rated at a certain distortion level just like solid state amps - but a lot of people *like* tube amp distortion so you can push the amp considerably harder before distortion levels become a problem. Marshalls might be rated at 100w at .5% THD or something like that but can go lots louder before clipping becomes a problem.

You might be able to keep up with him with the NC-410P but there wouldn't be a whole lot of headroom left there either. If you're interested in an Eden combo amp, maybe a Metro or CXC would be a better choice than the Nemesis.

This year I'll probably get rid of the Nemesis and go modular - I'm thinking hard about an Aguilar DB359 with an Eden 2x10" and 1x15" below it. The stack would be bigger than what I have now but the individual components would be a bit lighter. It'd add some flexibility and maybe it'd be a little easier on my back ;)

7. Ok, obviously we're getting close to the point! (can I say this in English??? Uh, an off-topic question :p )
    Actually he uses a Marshall 4x12, driven by a Laney 120 watts head with tube pre-amp and transistor/mos-fet power-amp. But anyways, he's always MUCH too loud and boomy, like most guitarists. He's got the bottom in his sound that I'm supposed to have! :rolleyes:
    And when you tell him to turn it down a bit, so that my ears won't bleed, he'd say:
    I can't hear myself (ought to visit a doctor to check his ears). I guess NOW you understand my situation!
    And now it's clear why the Nemesis would propably be too quiet. And the normal Eden stuff is too expensive, consider I'm a student!
    But some time ago i was about to buy a Peavey 410tvx and a Firebass II. I Think this would be a good alternative, even if it's so very popular at the moment.
    I'd pay a little more, I'd hurt my back and arms a lot more, but I'd be quite a bit louder and get more bottom.
    Sounds like a solution, doesn't it?
  8. the Peavey would be a good choice. I think about 400 watts w/a 4x10 should do the trick. If not, you guys are WAY too loud on stage. If your guitarist can't hear himself with his rig, than there's just too much sound bouncing around. How 'bout each player starting out with his amp way down, almost too low to hear, and then adjust up accordingly. I find most bands set up their gear, with the g-tarist cranking his amp, and then everyone else tries to get to his volume level, which is really hard to do. Try the reverse.

PA system?
  9. thanks for the advive Mark, but that's exactly what I am trying
    to do every rehearsal!:) The problem is, that he's sure that he's alright as soon as anybody else is dying. but Probably this has to do with his standing position.
    Imagine quite a small practicing room and the guitarist is standing about 3-4 feet away from his amp: Of course the room is filled with bass, because he's cranking it and still can't hear a thing because the high-freq. sonic doesnt reach his ear directly. But i got used to this, i use earplugs, crank my amp and relax. YOU CURE TOO LOUD GUITARISTS! (ha, finally i managed to flame some guitarists in a thread!!);)

I'll propably end up with a Peavey Nitrobass, 210tvx + 115 bxbw because of the weight of a single 410. Or should I buy a SWR Triad? Hm. I just can't decide!!

10. Sorry, ought to write: you'll NEVER ever cure them!