Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nemesis 4x10 or 2x12 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmanyea, Sep 30, 2002.

1. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    I'm looking for a combo amp that can cover alot of ground volume-wise. Portability is an issue and I think I like the tone of the Nemesis line of amps. Which would be louder, the 4x10 or the 2x12? I know both lose power when adding an extension speaker, but I'm looking for a stand-alone unit to cover everything except for outdoor shows. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    (What are these) BUMPS?

3. Ok, I owned a Nemesis NC410P, the 225w combo. It was a very good sounding amp. If I had to do it over, I would get the 210. With the 210 the amplifier has more headroom.

Overall, the 410 is probably louder than the 212. Not much mind you. The sensitivities are very close (103dB vs 102dB) so I doubt it would be overly noticeable. I have played the 112, and I preferred the sound of the 410, punchier and clearer. I found the 12 to be bordering on muddy when the volume went above practice level. I don't know if the 212 Nemesis compares to the 212XLT, but I found the 212XLT muddy sounding.

Geoff

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    please explain?

since the internal speakers are both rated at 4ohms, shouldn't both the 210 and 410 give the same amount of headroom?

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    The 410 is now 320 watts.

6. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Go 410, it will sound louder and push far more air because of the total surface area of the speaker cones. IMO a 210 is only good for small jazz bars/coffee houses.

7. the 210 is much louder than that. it would be overkill for all the coffee houses i have seen. that is a potent 210 combo-moves a ton of air.

8. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Respect man, each to the own. Just my opinion from my own (expensive) mistakes!

9. I respect your opinion. I think you hold the minority opinion, however. I don't even have a Nemises 210. I just really like them. They look good, have a very warm, quasi-valve flavour and supply a lot of boo-tay for its size and weight. What other 210 combos are louder with that kind of sound quality and portablility at that price point?

10. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i was actually asking how the idea of 'headroom' works - if both internal speakers are rated at 4ohms, shouldn't they draw the same amount of power from the amp, despite difference in actual speaker number (ie 4x10 vs 2x10), and therefore provide the same amount of headroom?

i think everyone missed the point of my question - it was more a technical query than a product related one...

and if a cab draws more power, shouldn't there be more headroom, rather than less?

11. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’ve had a Nemesis 210 for about 5 years. I always use it for rehearsals, practice, and small clubs. I also have a Nemesis 115 extension cab that I special ordered 4 ohm to use with the 210 for larger rooms. This lightweight rig is surprisingly loud and deep, but I don’t use it with the 15 much anymore since I got my DB359. Part of the appeal of the 210 is that it’s so small and light for what it can do. No matter what other gear I buy, I expect this amp will continue to be the most used piece of gear I own. If I had bought the 410, I probably would have sold it already.

My recommendation is to get the 210 and a 4 ohm extension cab. True, you do loose some power with the extension cab since it connects in series (not as much as you’d think because of the power supply design), but this is more than made up for by the increase in efficiency that additional drivers add. This rig will be more versatile, and I’ll bet you’ll end up leaving the extension cab home more often than not.

- John

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I also own the NC410P, but the older model, rated at 225 watts RMS...

Like Geoff, if I had to do it over again, I would have purchased the 2x10 instead, based on the space & portability constraints I have - as well as the excellent reviews I've seen on it, again & again...

Either the 2x10 wasn't yet on the market when I bought my 4x10 - or my particular retailer didn't happen to carry them at the time. Anyway, I'm thinking it's about time to correct this situation...

MM

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I owned an NC210-P.

I never played the 410, but I would recommend it over the 210 for volume reasons.

I ran too close to wide open in several different venues with the 210 and it still wasn't loud enough.

Or if you have the cash get two 210's but at that price point, I think there's alot better options available.

14. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    My feeling is that if the NC210 doesn’t have enough volume for your needs, the incremental improvement of two more 10’s isn’t going to give you the margin you need, and you’ll have sacrificed a lot of portability. I’d be looking for a higher power head and a light weight cab instead. Personally, I don’t think 410 and combo go together, but maybe that’s just me.

15. would the 212 be able to be heard over a marshall mg100dfx and a fender reissue reverb 65? aswell as a heavy hitting drummer?

16. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I think you could get away with it, but you’re not going to have a lot of overhead.

17. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    If so, you'd be right up against your limit - and that's not a comfortable place to be. To really do it right, you're gonna need a lot more power. For the same price as a new Nemesis 2x12, you'd be better off getting an Avatar B212 cab + separate head. Something rated at about 500 watts RMS & upward would be in the ballpark...

MM

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    To answer the original post, either one would be a good choice. They're plenty loud and well voiced. If portability is an issue, the smallest cab wins, right? So in that case, the 2-10, which is a great amp. Bullet proof reliable, lightweight and sounds great. What more do you need? I had the 210 and sometimes wished I had the 410 or the 212. I;m pleased to see the increased power of the those amps. I think either one will do the trick for you.

With reference to 100 watt Marshalls, in my view they are overkill in most situations unless you're all working hard on hearing loss. If you need to use more than 300 watts on stage, you're all playing too loud.