Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nemesis 810 vs Avatar 410/115 setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Feb 3, 2004.

1. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    For anyone familiar with Nemesis and/or Avatar if you had a choice between owning one of these what would it be and why. I'm running a GK 1001rb with a Sansamp Pre-Amp. I really go for a more modern sounding SVT gain.
    The Nemesis sounds good but is insane to lug around and it unbelieveably tipsy due it being front heavy with ****ty wheels. All I'm concerd about is losing sound quality with the switch. What do you think? Nemesis 810 or Avatar 410/115 setup?

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't know about Nemesis but I can speak for the avatar rig that it will do you well. Unless you specifically need that 8x10 sound, the 4x10/1x15 gives you huge bottom as well as punchy mids and highs, regardless of brand. However some 8x10s give bigger bottom than others.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I think people forget that Nemisis is made by Eden. My 4x10 has a family resemblance to my Eden 2x10 xlt. I'm not saying they sound the same, but you can tell they are cousins. It weighs the same as the 2x10xlt, meaning it's half the weight of the 4x10 xlt. It makes it a very easy cab to cart around. I usually use it with an extension cab, sometimes the 2x10, sometimes a 15. It's LOUD and punchy, just how I like it. My only complaint it the horn protection circuitry. It seems to cut in too early. It felt to me like the speakers had more in them but the light bulb would come on and compress the highs. I actually bypassed the bulb leaving the horn unprotected - that was 3 years ago ad I haven't blown it yet. And it unleashed all the power of the 4 10's.

Would you consider getting 2 Nemisis 4x10's instead of the 8x10?

Avatar is a unique concept and the entire design is aimed at reducing costs. From what I've learned about cab building in the last 12 months, I'm not comfortable with the high tuning frequency the cab porting. I'm also not comfortable with the way Eminence come up with their speaker wattage ratings. We've run speaker simulations on some of the drivers used in the Avatars and found that even some 700w speakers hit their excursion limit at 150-160 watts. They're only rated at 700w because the speaker's adhesives and take that much power before it starts to fall apart. The reality is that it's distorting long before that. Don't get me wrong, Avatar are good for the price, but I wouldn't buy one.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I don't care for the Avatar's horn. If any kind of crispy sizzle is important to you, the Eden might be a better choice (although I don't have any experience with the Nemesis cabs). As I've said a hundred times before, I really like Avatar for the money, so consider this a 'devil's advocate' caveat... :)

5. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    yay what bugs me is I can't find an avatar to go out and play. I only have word of mouth to go on. I got this 810 for 300 bucks and it sounds as good as the Ampeg 810s every one and their dog has. It's just really hard to tote around and play on because it's not stable.
    I'll suffer through though if I'm going to lose any sound quality with a new cab(s). I can't afford to get two Eden Cabs so I may just have to make due.