Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nemesis amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Hello everyone,
    I am thinking about upgrading my behringer BX1200 to a Nemesis amp, I was just wondering if there was anywhere on the internet where I could get one. Every site I have found sent me to musiciansfriend.com, but they don't carry them anymore. If anybody could tell me where I could get one, I would appreciate it. Heck, if anyone wants to say anything about them, I'd like to know!
    Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Call Gard at Bass Central!

www.bascentral.com

1-800-545-8813
    I have the number saved on my cell phone and I just called them today.

I got my Nemesis from them at a killer price a couple of years ago. My father and I did some searching online and found some prices, then we found Bass Central and decided to call them up since they were in Florida. To make a long story short they worked out a great deal with us that made it worth our while to buy from them even though we had to pay tax since it was an in state sale.

Since then Ive bought an Eden 210 XST from them, and I plan to buy my next cab (probably a Bergantino NV610)from them.

Great service from courteous, helpful salespeople and great prices too.

Peace
    Nick

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, I forgot to add that Nemesis makes great gear!

I love the tone of my 210 combo Ive been using for a couple of years now and even though Im considering some high end stuff (Eden, Aguilar, Bergantino) for my next cab purchase, Im also considering the Nemesis cabs as a serious posibilty.

Peace
    Nick

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I think people forget it's made by Eden. It was probably a marketing error to give them an entirely different brand name. They should have kept the Eden badge but released them as Nemisis models, kinds like what SWR did with the Workingman series.

My Eden Nemisis 4x10 is great. Even better with a replacement horn. It's the loudest single cab in my arsenal. Matched with a 15 or a 2x10, it's a monster...........

5. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I've had a Nemesis 2x10 combo for over 4 years now -- it still rocks and has great sound and volume for such a lightweight amp.

My only complaint is that the sound is radically different when you're ten feet away (as opposed to when it's blasting at the back of your pant legs...) To my ears, it seems to lose much of the booty shaking lows at that distance. Dialing in more lows at the amp only seems to make it unbearably bottom heavy on stage. The only decent cure seems to be more volume, which then ruins the stage sound and makes the guitar players turn up -- always a bad thing... Because people I respect said it sounded fine, I gave up whining and decided to live with it. I've stopped using it for most shows as the room size (and the overall volume of the bands I have been working with) has gotten far too big for it, but it makes it to a live gig now and again.

Other than that, I like the little moster and would recommend it to anyone who hates heavy gear. It's my one and only band rehearsal amp for that reason, plus it fits in the trunk of an average sized car. I still use it at least 3-6 hours per week.

As a nice bonus, when stages are tight, you can flip the thing on the side and take up about half the space.

YMMV.

-Duke

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I own 5 very different speaker cabs and they all exhibit this behaviour to a certain extent. That's the laws of physics at work.

AN extension cab will help greatly. It will change the dynamics of the acoustic throw. You'll basically be harnessing the coupling of the lower frequencies to your benefit without necessarily playing any louder. It will also halve speaker cone excursion at the same SPL, meaning each speaker cone is only working half as hard as it has been.

7. As Pete said, it's the law. Check this to see how it works:
    Bass Loss Problem, scroll down to see how it works on the Fletcher-Munson Equal Loudness Curves.

Because of the way we hear, just a short distance can cause major drop in bass frequencies. It's a good argument for putting the main job of reproducing bass out front with the pa so you don't have to flood the stage with low freqs.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just be aware that there is not quite the quality control with Nemesis gear that you get with Eden. This results in occasional problem units.

If you get a good unit, they are a bargain; if not, NOT!

My suggestion would be save a bit more money and get either SWR WM, Ashdown EB, or Ampeg B*R...or get some better unit second hand.

9. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I understand this, and I agree that it does bear repeating. I have owned several cabs and combos in my time, too -- I only meant that THIS ONE IN PARTICULAR seemed MORE different at 10 feet away than the others I've used. I have used an old Hartke 4x10 Transporter as an extension for the Nemesis, and it does change the differnces at 10 feet. Instead of lugging both the Nemesis and the 4x10, however, I usually opt for the 4x10 and a GK 1001RB when I need that kind of volume (and save space in the car at the same time).

-Duke