Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nemesis and External Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimbob, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I'll tell you what, this Nemesis 210p is a great little amp but the manual is a pain in the a$$! The Nemesis manual says basically to plug in anything and it will work. As Eden has upgraded the amp since I bought it, I called customer service at Eden for an answer they directed me to call the factory. The woman I talked at the factory to didn't have my answer either but did e-mail me the manual again which is cool...

Not having my answer, my singer brought a Peavey 15" with a JBL in it...wired 8ohm and I plugged her in with no problems. Absolutely killer sounding set up with bandmates giving me the thumbs up. Tonight I played with a Tribute act and plugged it into an old Peavey 8-10 they has there...so I had 10-10's rumbling:smug: The cabinet was wired at 4 ohms and the rig sounded amazing.

If anybody is looking for a versitile Combo amp that can handle all kinds of extension speakers, or before you buy a stand alone head, look at the Nemesis Series!

Keep it Low

2. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    The Manual plainly states that extension speakers are wired in series. This means that any extension speaker is ok to use. The load on the amp can only go up, from the already optimum 4 ohms. In other words when you add an extension speaker you will actually get less power from your amp.

3. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks for the feedback. So, in series wiring, the amps power is being split so it is reducing (or is sharing the power the correct term?) the power between the combo's speakers and the extension cabinet right?

4. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Or is the amp's power actually reducing?

5. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    They wire external speakers in series? Oh man. damping power...dropping...dropping....dropping...mud

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Yes. Series output means you are actually INCREASING the load on the power amp, thus decreasing the output power. How much depends on the amp's design.

Don't sweat it. If it works, it works.

7. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Dubbs, the combo amp is wired in series not the external speakers

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I guess it would be most accurate to say that the external speaker cabinet extension jack creates a series connection to the internal speaker cab.

9. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Which is what I'm saying potentially demolishes the cone control over that extension speaker. maybe not a problem but then again maybe you'd hear it.

10. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    to clear it up, I bet the nemesis series sounds pretty darn good without extension speakers in series

11. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Yup!

12. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    You bet the Nemesis combo's sound great without external speakers and are loud.
    Basically the design says that the amp's power is adequate for the internal speakers.

Now I have plugged in a SWR son of Bertha cabinet at home and it sounded great. I just don't think there's enough power available to drive it live.