Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nemesis combo and ext. cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pwl_311, Nov 8, 2001.

1. pwl_311

pwl_311

Feb 23, 2001
    I am thinking about getting the nemesis 210 combo for my first non-practice amp. I saw this same question when i searched on the topic, but no one had answered it. For larger venues, would adding an extension cabinet to the combo make it louder?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    sup dude. I got the Nemesis NC210p combo amp... I've never had anything under it.... except recently.. i just threw an old musicman 15' Cab under it..... It won't make you louder.. but it will give you a bit more punch.. I love the 2 10s in the nemesis but with the added help of the 15', your low-end will be most excellent. For the most part, you will either have your gear miced or you are gonna have you bass run directly into the system you are playing through... So a big bass rig isn't exactly a must.. I played a gig with three other bands about 3 weeks ago.. they all had bass rigs twice the size of mine... but Mine cut through the mix better and sounded better.... I was even complimented by the other bass players.... It may have also been the fact that I was playing my stingray... those are rare basses you may not have ever heard of them ;) ...

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Nemesis NC210P. It is a very good combo amp. I highly recommend it.

As for adding another 210 extension cabinet, yes it will make you louder. By cutting the impedance in half, you increase the output of the power amp to 400+ watts. Secondly, you are doubling the number speakers, so you have more surface area.

I have ran mine alone, with a 115, a 210, a 410, and a 118 folded horn. All sound different and prodcue varying levels of volume.

Chas

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    The nemesis speaker jack is wired in series, any extension cab will add impedance, not reduce it.

http://www.eden-electronics.com/ncombos.html

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    umm.. the nemesis is 200 watts no matter what you add to it... put a 15' under it.. its 200 watts... that is my only bad review about the nemesis.. but it still kicks it

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    oh wait... someone has already said that... man.. i feel dumb... oh well.. happens frequently

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have never read anything about it being parrallel or series, but I am sure that you are right. I do know that it gets louder when you add speakers. I just presumed it was like any other amp.

Your comment that it adds impedance has to be right, doesn't it? It couldn't stay 200 watts no matter what could it?

This at least helps it make more sense as to why Eden recommends using a 4 ohm extension.

Chas

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Chas, the power ratings on Eden's site seem a bit confusing, in one spot they say 225W and in another they say 200W. Added impedance will cause a power drop, ohm's law. But the benefit of moving more air with an extension cab will add volume. You really can't hear much difference in volume until you make a BIG change in power, so the power loss of the series extension cab is fairly insignificant in this case.