1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nemesis compresion question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Apr 19, 2009.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ok last night at a gig I was playing my Ibanez SR 950 passive P/J through my Nemesis RS115 w/115 extension cab. The highs where not coming threw like I liked and the overall tone was kinda lifeless? So I just cranked the input knob on the amp and let the compressor work none stop, I mean the gain LED was coming on almost the whole time, even on softer notes and ballads.. but the tone opened up and the highs where jumping from the speakers, I even had a friend, who is a great player, do a couple of songs and the bass sounded killer after I turned up the gain and pushed the compression. So, anyone else finding this a good way to get great tone from their Nemesis amp or combo or am I just pushing the gain/compressor too hard?

2. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Bump anyone?....

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I've got a 210 that likes the input on the hot side. Growls & spits a bit more (in a good way). I am now bypassing the onboard compressor & running through an RNC. That fattens up the tone in a big way and gives more Motown pump & gurgle to the combo.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If it sounds good it is good. There's no such thing as pushing gain or compressor "too hard" unless it sounds bad.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    FMR RNC....jeeez! Where did you get that from?

Nice compressor (says so in the name)...glad you're diggin' it.

Riis

6. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Cool... thanks for the fast response everyone..